Is this worth sending to a lab?

Diamondsareforever

I’ve been holding on to this ring for awhile and would like to sell it.
From my observations it looks to be a natural saltwater pearl with unknown origin.
My question is would it be worth it to get it checked out in a lab, would that significantly add to the value?
Photos taken with magnification.

Attachments

• IMG_1901.jpeg
    IMG_1901.jpeg
    264.8 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_1899.jpeg
    IMG_1899.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 96
  • IMG_1900.jpeg
    IMG_1900.jpeg
    976 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_1895.jpeg
    IMG_1895.jpeg
    874 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_1898.jpeg
    IMG_1898.jpeg
    944.2 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_1897.jpeg
    IMG_1897.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 105
Nice shape and size, GOOD overtones...but a bit damaged and that bottom (hiding thanks to the setting) makes me think it was a pearl once attached to the shell (can't really say since we can just see a bit, from the sides).
If the pearl was attached to a shell, I believe the value will decrease dramatically (that side will not look very nice and the #1 reason it was set this way).
I would not sell it as natural unless I had a certificate, so: if you want to sell it as a natural pearl and you cannot prove it (you or your dad or the previous owner, took the pearl out from a wild caught oyster) then you need the certificate to keep ethical. If not, sell it as a cultured pearl.

If the pearl was attached to a shell, I believe the value will decrease dramatically
Agreed. However, if it was attached to the shell there's a increased plausibility of natural origin.

The pearl presents with considerable gold/green/red overtones and incomplete growth frontage. It's undoubtedly a mature, possibly even over mature pearl, which may also support natural origin. Without seeing xray or candled views, there is the appearance a bead may be present.

I'm having a difficult time speculating the species of origin, because it's not typical of most cultured pearls. Without views of the nuclear material, I cannot determine origin with certainty in this case.

The crown bezel does not appear to be designed specifically for the pearl, instead modified to make it work. Ad hoc settings, don't necessarily bode well for natural pieces because most have the piece designed around the pearl itself.

If lab testing is affordable to you without the liability or disappointment from a non-favourable report, I'd suggest this pearl merits a trip to the lab.

It's an interesting pearl. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Do you get a "Black Abalone" vibe from it @Lagoon Island Pearls ???
I do. I haven't seen many of those, but sure reminds me of a very few I have seen before.
But then again it can be a pearl oyster.
I agree with Dave: it would be worth sending it off to a lab for testing.

Do you get a "Black Abalone" vibe from it @Lagoon Island Pearls ???
I do. I haven't seen many of those, but sure reminds me of a very few I have seen before.
But then again it can be a pearl oyster.
I agree with Dave: it would be worth sending it off to a lab for testing.
Yes, abalone would be my first guess too. That is helpful to the OP, for another point suggesting natural origin.

Thank
Nice shape and size, GOOD overtones...but a bit damaged and that bottom (hiding thanks to the setting) makes me think it was a pearl once attached to the shell (can't really say since we can just see a bit, from the sides).
If the pearl was attached to a shell, I believe the value will decrease dramatically (that side will not look very nice and the #1 reason it was set this way).
I would not sell it as natural unless I had a certificate, so: if you want to sell it as a natural pearl and you cannot prove it (you or your dad or the previous owner, took the pearl out from a wild caught oyster) then you need the certificate to keep ethical. If not, sell it as a cultured pearl.
you for this tip!! I appreciate it

Okay my loves, you were correct!! This is an undrilled natural abalone pear per the GIA.
❤️❤️❤️❤️

How much is this guy worth graded, ballpark? Pleaseeeee ⭐

This is the report viewable on my GIA lab account but I will have the paper when it arrives in the mail :) I was to excited to wait to tell you guys.

Anyways also wondering if anyone knows how to find someone who really appreciates natural pearls? I am an eBay seller :)

Attachments

• IMG_4100.jpeg
    IMG_4100.jpeg
    128.3 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_4101.jpeg
    IMG_4101.jpeg
    52.9 KB · Views: 59
Excellent!

I would go as far to say this is likely a Green Abalone (Haliotis fulgens). It has the characteristic green overtone and finer growth fronts than other large abalone species. This furthers natural origin because green abalone are not typically used for aquaculture.
Nice I am so impressed with your guys’ ability to identify this over photos :) I'm sure the folks at GIA had to use equipment.
Now to find a buyer 😅

Back