Is this real pearls?

Fila

I am in phillipines bantayan island and beach sellers are selling pearls. Are they real? The blue ones look really weird and in super bad condition. Can they even be real? Some of the white ones are shiny but some parts are like scratched off there is no shine just like a plastic white bead. Is that even possible on pearl that parts are shiny, parts not and parts broken? They are selling it for 25$ -75$. The white and pink looks much nicer but still has rings and even like little holes. If yes how much should be for exaple white or the blue necklace sold for? Thank you!!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190206-192410_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190206-192410_Gallery.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 58
  • Screenshot_20190206-192424_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190206-192424_Gallery.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 64
  • Screenshot_20190206-192350_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190206-192350_Gallery.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 57
  • Screenshot_20190206-204013_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190206-204013_Gallery.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 74
  • Screenshot_20190206-204132_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190206-204132_Gallery.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 62
  • Screenshot_20190206-204304_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190206-204304_Gallery.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 54
  • Screenshot_20190206-204443_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190206-204443_Gallery.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 67
  • Screenshot_20190206-204621_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190206-204621_Gallery.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 54
  • Screenshot_20190206-204557_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190206-204557_Gallery.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 67
They are low quality cultured freshwater pearls from China, and the dark ones are dyed. Some may be bead nucleated. They are worth very little. The seller is making a tidy profit.

Pearls can have very lustrous areas and very dull areas on the same pearl. When this happens the pearl overall is considered low luster.

That doesn't mean you can't enjoy wearing them, though. Obviously you wouldn't have bought them if you didn't like them. If you desire, you can restring them yourself, removing the worst of the pearls. We have tutorials on stringing on the Lowly Beaders Club.

They are low quality cultured freshwater pearls from China, and the dark ones are dyed. Some may be bead nucleated. They are worth very little. The seller is making a tidy profit.

Pearls can have very lustrous areas and very dull areas on the same pearl. When this happens the pearl overall is considered low luster.

That doesn't mean you can't enjoy wearing them, though. Obviously you wouldn't have bought them if you didn't like them. If you desire, you can restring them yourself, removing the worst of the pearls. We have tutorials on stringing on the Lowly Beaders Club.

Thank you so much for answer!❤I didnt buy them yet just took photos while they were showing to me so that's why I wanted to know if they are real and how much should I ask for them. Would you by any chance have idea how much should I buy necklace and bracelet for? I do like them but dont want to spend too much money on something what is not worth the price. And are the small dark blue rice pearls also died? So it means if they are died the color will go away fast? How about the pink and peach ones are those died also? And how come on the dark round big ones are parts of the top layer pealed so much while on the other pink or white not like that? Thanks!!

Sorry not sure how it works here with the replies so might be double reply. Thanks so much for the answers!❤I didnt buy them yet just took photos while they were showing to me so that's why I wanted to know if they are real and how much should I ask for them. Would you by any chance have idea how much should I buy necklace and bracelet for? I do like them but dont want to spend too much money on something what is not worth the price, so wondering how much should I ask for it . And are the small dark blue rice pearls also died? So it means if they are died the color will go away fast? How about the pink and peach ones are those died also? And how come on the dark round big ones are parts of the top layer pealed so much while on the other pink or white not like that. And some of the pink has dark sports looks like holes, are there holes or what is that exactly? So the white pearls are pretty much real pearls (not treated or died or modified) just low quality? I attached new photos. Thanks!!

Attachments

• IMG 8641
    IMG 8641
    58.8 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG 8650
    IMG 8650
    57.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG 7945
    IMG 7945
    85.6 KB · Views: 61
  • Screenshot_20190207-101355_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190207-101355_Gallery.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 51
  • Screenshot_20190207-101007_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190207-101007_Gallery.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 48
  • Screenshot_20190207-101118_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190207-101118_Gallery.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 54
  • Screenshot_20190207-100922_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190207-100922_Gallery.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 56
  • Screenshot_20190207-100946_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190207-100946_Gallery.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 49
  • Screenshot_20190207-102607_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190207-102607_Gallery.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 58
  • Screenshot_20190207-103035_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190207-103035_Gallery.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 51
And also if they are dyed are they safe on skin? Wondering about the toxicity of the color used. Thanks!

I might pay $10 for the last bracelet you are modeling. The rest, no way! You might want to save your money for better quality.

@Marianne oh really? So once they have the circle rings around I should not buy those at all? Even for low price? Just should buy the ones without the circkles?

Sorry to be slow approving posts; I was not at my computer this evening. Posts should appear now.

Fila, now that we know you have not bought them yet, I say: don't buy any of them. You can do much, much better than those low quality and over-priced pearls.

The black ones are a horror show. Horrid quality. Having seen more photos I don't think there's a bead inside-- I think the layers are just chipping and peeling off, so damaged are they by whatever was done with them. The blue ones are not good either but they are less bad. The dye is safe and won't wear off, either way.

Peach and pink are natural colors for freshwater pearls. Circles occur naturally but lower the value of pearls. Unless you love the shapes and appearance of them, pass them by.

I'm with Marianne: pay no more than $10 per piece and only if you love it.

May I ask what do you like about these pieces? The color? The size? The price? Maybe you can check out Etsy? This is a link to Wenpearls. Real pearls of different variety, and I believe she can turn them into necklaces. https://etsy.me/2WPxjZ4

Last edited:
I suspect it may the the romance of pearls being sold on the beach.

Just as lots of people overpay for pearls while traveling, on cruises, and at tourist traps of all kinds. In such circumstances, there seems to be a lowering of defenses, a greater willingness to believe the vendors are offering a desirable product at a good price.

Thank you so much for all the answers!!!❤They were really helpful for me so I didnt end up buying tons of them and demaged for high prices �� I dont have any knowledge about pearls and that's pretty much only think that is sold on this beach in Phillipines so many pearls sellers and thinking pearls are expensive and they were not as expensive I thought it might be good buy and good presents. But then someone was telling me they are not real pearls. Also my family when I show them photos got excited and wanted them �� so I just wanted to make sure they are real and what I should buy it for if I like some. So I guess yes it's also really the beach romance ��hahaha, some memory from beautiful place and also though it would be cool bring real pearls from phillipines divers as presents lol. Well now I know they are not originally from phillipines but China but I guess I will got few of the nicest ones as souvenirs and will make sure the price is much lower what they asking and will not buy the demaged ones thanks to your opinion. The "horror show" phrase really made my day. ��I kind of thought it looked pretty bad but my sister really wanted the dark ones so I am glad I didnt buy them at the end since now I figured thanks to you I can get them rather somehwere else maybe for the same price or just little bit higher. I am very happy about this helpful forum! Thanks a lot!❤

Welcome to Pearl Guide :). I know there will be online articles recommending you to buy Pearl's from the Phillipines because it is considered cheaper, but in honesty those same quality of pearls can be found sold at the Aloha stadium in Oahu for $10-15. If you're interested in something really part of the Filipino culture, I would recommend maybe the toy jeepneys and shell trivets . If you're willing, learn how to make some Filipino foods such as pandesal, a delicious rolls that are favored by the Philippines. Philippines do have pearls that come from their islands, the Gold South Sea Pearls...expensive. But what I suggested earlier are also a nice, easy to pack, pasalubong :). If you do go to etsy to buy pearls of that price range, the search engine here will guide you to other forums of other trustful shops :).

Safe travels Fila!
Thank you so much for all the answers!!!❤They were really helpful for me so I didnt end up buying tons of them and demaged for high prices �� I dont have any knowledge about pearls and that's pretty much only think that is sold on this beach in Phillipines so many pearls sellers and thinking pearls are expensive and they were not as expensive I thought it might be good buy and good presents. But then someone was telling me they are not real pearls. Also my family when I show them photos got excited and wanted them �� so I just wanted to make sure they are real and what I should buy it for if I like some. So I guess yes it's also really the beach romance ��hahaha, some memory from beautiful place and also though it would be cool bring real pearls from phillipines divers as presents lol. Well now I know they are not originally from phillipines but China but I guess I will got few of the nicest ones as souvenirs and will make sure the price is much lower what they asking and will not buy the demaged ones thanks to your opinion. The "horror show" phrase really made my day. ��I kind of thought it looked pretty bad but my sister really wanted the dark ones so I am glad I didnt buy them at the end since now I figured thanks to you I can get them rather somehwere else maybe for the same price or just little bit higher. I am very happy about this helpful forum! Thanks a lot!❤

I agree with Simply adorned and Abi-- choose other kinds of souvenirs, and take photos! Cr@ppy pearls make poor souvenirs. ;)

Thank you very much for the advices and suggestions! Very appreciate that! Was very helpful so I didnt end up spending lots of money on bad pearls. Thanks! ❤

Back