Is this luster for real?

AWeng

Hey all, I was wondering if you could give me some advice on this particular necklace (see pictures) as I'm torn between this set and Pearl Paradise's untreated natural hanadama necklace. I loved the way PP's pearls exhibit the fascinating overtones, but the luster in this akoya necklace caught my attention. The luster seems too good to be true, and I think they received extra treatments? I read somewhere that some treatments do enhance the luster but it makes the nacre so thin that the luster will wear off over time? If that's the case then I'd rather go for PP. What do you think?

Attachments

• photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 31
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 33
Hi
I thin k you might have conflated a couple of bits of information there. Nearly every cultured pearl on the market will go though a process called Maeshori - which is polishing and sprucing up. The polishing involves tumbling in walnut shell chips, which buffs the surface (no different really to buffing your nails). The nacre is always thinner relatively on akoya pearls because they are nacre over a bead (freshwater pearls are usually no bead although that isn't as true as it used to be!)
The problem comes when you try to buff up an akoya pearl which has been short grown - not left to develop for long enough so that the layer of nacre is very thin. That nacre will always be thin whether it is buffed or not. It's just grown to be cheap.
I'm seeing akoya being sold at retail here at the moment for a third of the price I would pay wholesale...because they are short grown and thin nacre. I wish the seller would stop because when these pearls start to blink (ie show their beads through the nacre in a year or two then the buyer will be put off ALL pearls)

Wendy they're selling at 1300 USD! :S

Hi
I thin k you might have conflated a couple of bits of information there. Nearly every cultured pearl on the market will go though a process called Maeshori - which is polishing and sprucing up. The polishing involves tumbling in walnut shell chips, which buffs the surface (no different really to buffing your nails). The nacre is always thinner relatively on akoya pearls because they are nacre over a bead (freshwater pearls are usually no bead although that isn't as true as it used to be!)
The problem comes when you try to buff up an akoya pearl which has been short grown - not left to develop for long enough so that the layer of nacre is very thin. That nacre will always be thin whether it is buffed or not. It's just grown to be cheap.
I'm seeing akoya being sold at retail here at the moment for a third of the price I would pay wholesale...because they are short grown and thin nacre. I wish the seller would stop because when these pearls start to blink (ie show their beads through the nacre in a year or two then the buyer will be put off ALL pearls)

Hi
I can't see the pix for some reason.
Price is not necessarily an indicator of value in the world of pearls

Hey all, I was wondering if you could give me some advice on this particular necklace (see pictures) as I'm torn between this set and Pearl Paradise's untreated natural hanadama necklace. I loved the way PP's pearls exhibit the fascinating overtones, but the luster in this akoya necklace caught my attention. The luster seems too good to be true, and I think they received extra treatments? I read somewhere that some treatments do enhance the luster but it makes the nacre so thin that the luster will wear off over time? If that's the case then I'd rather go for PP. What do you think?

AWeng, the strong luster could also be a result of photo editing. We can't see your photos yet as they need to be approved because you are a new member. We'll get back to you with oppinions when we can :)

- Karin

Hello Pearlescence! Yeah I know, just letting Wendy know that it's priced high from a reputable online seller. I've seen very cheap Hanadamas online and it's fishy too because it's Hanadama after all. I can see the pics now, do you? Please share some of your thoughts :) I'm more inclined to get a certified strand, now I think I've set my decision on PP's natural Hanadamas. But I'm still looking around to rid of any chance of regret.

Hi
I can't see the pix for some reason.
Price is not necessarily an indicator of value in the world of pearls

AWeng, the strong luster could also be a result of photo editing. We can't see your photos yet as they need to be approved because you are a new member. We'll get back to you with oppinions when we can :)

- Karin

Thanks Karin! Do give me some insights! :)

Did you read this thread? https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5889

If you get a certificate from Japan Pearl Science Laboratory, stating that they are Hanadama grade pearls, then you should be able to buy with confidence. :)

Hey Blaire! Yeah I read it. I actually saw that thread before joining the forum! :D I just stumbled upon this super-shiny necklace so I was wondering if this is real. I had my eyes set on PP's untreated hanadama already! :) The irridescent colors are just lovely! But I'm still looking around though~ don't want regrets :) And yes, a certificate will be more certain of it's genuine qualities!

How in the return policy of the second company? Here on PG we use the term 'glamour shots' of the images presented by most on-line vendors. There's just nothing quite like comparing them in real life.

Another thought is that the luster may be for real but do you know anything about the nacre thickness? That would be an important parameter for me as it has to do with how long the pearls will last before being worn down. I have a strand of $45 barogue akoyas with gorgous luster and overtone - and they are definately not worth more than that as the nacre is less than paperthin.

- Karin

I have a pair of large natural white hanadama studs from PP ~ I adore them and wear them often. Their luster and overtones are amazing and they have thick nacre for akoyas (0.6mm)! For that kind of investment I would definitely purchase from PP.

Thanks Karin for pointing out the thickness of nacre. After a few researches I'm leaning toward freshwater pearls now. I love luster coming out from within the pearl than from the surface.

How in the return policy of the second company? Here on PG we use the term 'glamour shots' of the images presented by most on-line vendors. There's just nothing quite like comparing them in real life.

Another thought is that the luster may be for real but do you know anything about the nacre thickness? That would be an important parameter for me as it has to do with how long the pearls will last before being worn down. I have a strand of $45 barogue akoyas with gorgous luster and overtone - and they are definately not worth more than that as the nacre is less than paperthin.

- Karin

Thanks LitGeek I feel more comfident buying from large companies like PP now... I need lots of communication and a good return policy.

I have a pair of large natural white hanadama studs from PP ~ I adore them and wear them often. Their luster and overtones are amazing and they have thick nacre for akoyas (0.6mm)! For that kind of investment I would definitely purchase from PP.

I love freshwater pearls, but the luster doesn't necessarily have more visual depth that a good akoya, just because it is solid nacre. You might be interested in checking out metallic freshwaters, which also have great luster, or you may do better to shop in person as opposed to shopping online so you can see what you are getting. Decisions, decisions! ;)

GemGeek Yeah I had my eyes on the metallic freshwaters. Too bad I live all the way in Canada on the East coast. I've sent email to PP and requesting some pictures to compare with.

I love freshwater pearls, but the luster doesn't necessarily have more visual depth that a good akoya, just because it is solid nacre. You might be interested in checking out metallic freshwaters, which also have great luster, or you may do better to shop in person as opposed to shopping online so you can see what you are getting. Decisions, decisions! ;)

How can regular pearl buyers measure the thickness of nacre?

Wouldn't it be lovely if there was an easy way? We're talking about akoya here. We know in general what the range of thickness can be based on the pearls' vintage. Our eyes tell us more, based on luster, overtone, blemishes, examination of the drill hole (great if one can see down it). Looking at lots of akoya in person, rolling them in your hands, comparing in person, all will help.

Buy akoya from reputable and trustworthy sources, knowing you will not find huge bargains will assure you best of high getting quality.

Why some prefer to buy the non-bead nucleated, all nacre freshwater pearls, with top luster and roundness at lower cost.

thickness of the nacre of an Akoya could also be measured by cutting a pearl out of the same lot into half, if the wholesaler is willing to do so.:D

Attachments

• 243.jpg
    243.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 30
Cees, I don't think I can convince anyone to slice and dice her pearls here. Hahaha.

Back