Is this a pearl I found on the beach

Donnabarano

I believe this is a pearl I found on the beach in Monterey California while looking for sea glass but not sure. It's not perfectly round, but looks like a pearl. I want to have something made (maybe a pendant) if it is.

Attachments

• IMG_4616.jpg
    IMG_4616.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_4624.jpg
    IMG_4624.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_4626.jpg
    IMG_4626.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 79
Your photographs would make beautiful artwork. I especially like the middle one.

For trying to judge if it's a pearl, it would be best if you photographed it on a white paper towel in natural light, in the shade.
And can you photograph all sides of it?

What size it is in millimeters?

It certainly looks like a pearl. If it doesn't have any drill holes, then it may have been expelled from a mollusk. You can see that layers of nacre have been worn away from the action of the water and sand. What are the chances that would happen and that you would find it? Rarer than rare! :)

More photos

More photos

I hope it's rarer than rare because I lost my dad last year and we used to treasure hunt at the beach together. I'd like to think he helped :)
Here's some more photos - excuse the horrible measuring tape because it's all I have for measuring - I A

Attachments

• IMG_4659.jpg
    IMG_4659.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_4666.jpg
    IMG_4666.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_4660.jpg
    IMG_4660.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_4662.jpg
    IMG_4662.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_4663.jpg
    IMG_4663.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_4664.jpg
    IMG_4664.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 56
  • unnamed 2http://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/album.php?albumid=514&attachmentid=32509
    unnamed 2http://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/album.php?albumid=514&attachmentid=32509
    71.4 KB · Views: 60
Yes! Make a pendant and enjoy it as a memento of the happy times spent beachcombing with Dad. That is one tough pearl to have survived long enough to be found by you. :)

What a treasured find ... and it is so lustrous despite it's journeys :)

It's pretty. Definitely one of the prettier found pearls that have been posted lately. I'm guessing about 6 mm. Definitely make a pendant out of it. It makes a great story.

It certainly looks like a pearl. If it doesn't have any drill holes, then it may have been expelled from a mollusk. You can see that layers of nacre have been worn away from the action of the water and sand.

It looks like a lightly weathered pearl. It presents with semi-translucent density, stippled pockets of calcite, localized vein-like ridges and an off-centered dark colored proteinaceous mass at the nucleus. All consistent to natural features in this scenario. Loose pearls remaining in the elements revert to calcite hastily, especially ones cast ashore. Mixed events of wet/dry, UV, erosion etc. degrade sea shells, no less their pearls. If not recast from another setting, this pearl may have been loose no longer than a few weeks post mortem. Certainly not years.

Rarer than rare!

Yes, the rarest.

Congratulations, Donna! You are gifted and proud to come into this pearl, the way you did. A wonderful story.

How wonderful and such a sweet association with your dad ! Sorry to hear that he passed away, such a difficult time I know. But this little pearl was meant for you ! Definitely a pendant ..either on its own or a little charm cluster with a gold sea shell or dan dollar etc ..little beachy things. Maybe something that you found with him ..sea glass ? Do post a photo when you sort out a piece ! We'd love to see it!

Thank you everyone for all your help! I am so glad I stumbled upon this website and great community! And so happy to have found this treasure - probably my best find ever and I'm so happy - you all made my day!!!

Back