Is it fair price?

Mrs Lai

I was posting this in another thread, I decided to make a new thread here for other forum members to help me to evaluate the jewelry quality and price :) Please drop me a message if you have any thoughts would like to share!

Hubby got me this pearls set for Christmas gift few days ago, we are both newbie in pearl jewelry (this is my first pearl set) and we really love to know if our pearls worth the price. It is Borneo pearls and Borneo is part of my country so I expect them not to be expensive. Hubby spent around US$40 for the set (necklace, bracelet and earrings). Pattye and Pearl Dreams had pointed some great info earlier (thanks so much ladies!!), after learning now I'm getting more addicted to pearls jewelry!!

The photo was taken under natural sunlight
Metal - lobster clasp with 14k white gold plated on brass
Necklace - 422mm / 16.61 inches (without clasp), total 71 pearls
Bracelet - 158mm / 6.22inches (without clasp), total 26 pearls
Earrings - 6mm

Dark Worn 4

Merry Christmas to all~

Copying my last reply from the other thread (for earlier discussion, see: https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5054&page=3):

The bracelet looks charming on your wrist! I can see why you love them!

Whether $US40 is a fair price in Borneo depends on what else you could buy in your local economy with that amount of money, so I can't answer that. The price would be fair in the US for a retail setting (although one could do better in some discount stores, where the leftovers from other stores are sold), but I would have expected a solid sterling silver clasp.

The plating will wear off the clasp in time, especially if you wear them often, and then it will not look good, and the pearls will need to be restrung with a new clasp. Having it restrung could cost you as much as the set originally cost, or more-- so you might wish to learn how to string pearls.

Looking closely again I think they aren't knotted between the pearls and that there are bead crimps at the ends, near the clasp. This would make it a very easy job to restring them eventually, and there are lots of instructional videos on YouTube for this sort of stringing job. All you would need to do is buy a new clasp, when the time comes.

Last edited:
Thank you for creating the link! It is a lot easier to navigate this way. Thanks for the tips on the plated clasp, I didn't think about it when I buy the pearls, but now I will keep it in mind. Yup the pearls aren't knotted, I read your tutorial and I found it very interesting, I might get some loose pearls to practice one day! Today is a busy day trying few blouses matching the pearls, want to get the perfect outfit for dinner with family!

walking from the nursery to the harvest area

Mrs Lai, the set looks beautiful on you! They're not round, but luster seems nice and $40 is a fair price.

You mentioned that the pearls are from Borneo, but cmiiw, Borneo doesn't produce freshwater pearls, only South Sea pearls.

I love all the neck photos! They certainly look great with everything! :)

Back