Inherited these Keller pearls, are they valuable??

bburkley66

I inherited these amazing pearls and I know nothing about them. Only size 16/17" and register item # 425. Can you please help with the value, rarity, type and overall opinions or thoughts. Thank you so much
IMG_20230625_210829_337.jpg
IMG_20230625_210429_252.jpg
IMG_20230625_210153_462.jpg

Your title says Keller but the card says Heller.
I did a search of this forum to see if anyone had ever posted about this brand (Heller) and there are some posts. See these threads:

It may be that the primary value of these pearls is sentimental. Per the card that came with them, they are apparently cultured akoya pearls.The clasp is only 10K gold; usually higher karat gold is used for higher quality pearls (but not always.) The pearls and the silk are extremely grimy. It is obvious that their previous owner loved and wore them a lot! But the grime makes it hard to see what they actually look like, and the nacre may also be a bit worn and dulled; you won't know until you clean them. We can give you instructions on cleaning them. They also absolutely need to be restrung before wearing. Old, dirty silk is very weak and could break, causing the loss of the necklace or of some pearls.

However, I get the impression that you are interested in their value for resale purposes. If so, be aware that pre-owned cultured pearls tend not to hold their value; the exception is if they are Mikimoto or if they are important historic pearls. If you are trying to estimate what you might get for them, check sold listings on eBay for two-strand graduated pearl necklaces. that will give you an idea of what someone might pay for them. But if the buyer has to restring them, the value will be much less. Restringing can cost $3.00 or more per inch, per strand. If the buyer has to shell that out, they will offer less for them. If you pay to have them restrung, you may only break even when selling-- if that!

If you want to wear them yourself, then first clean them, and restring them yourself! I wrote a tutorial on how to do it, posted on this forum (sticky on the Lowly Beaders Club forum. It's not hard! And it saves money.

Interesting find. Pearls sold by Sears, Roebuck & Co from the times of the Catalogues!
Wish they photos were clearer, there's not much detail I can glean from the photos. It does seem it needs restringing.
Clasp marked as 10K.

Your title says Keller but the card says Heller.
I did a search of this forum to see if anyone had ever posted about this brand (Heller) and there are some posts. See these threads:

It may be that the primary value of these pearls is sentimental. Per the card that came with them, they are apparently cultured akoya pearls.The clasp is only 10K gold; usually higher karat gold is used for higher quality pearls (but not always.) The pearls and the silk are extremely grimy. It is obvious that their previous owner loved and wore them a lot! But the grime makes it hard to see what they actually look like, and the nacre may also be a bit worn and dulled; you won't know until you clean them. We can give you instructions on cleaning them. They also absolutely need to be restrung before wearing. Old, dirty silk is very weak and could break, causing the loss of the necklace or of some pearls.

However, I get the impression that you are interested in their value for resale purposes. If so, be aware that pre-owned cultured pearls tend not to hold their value; the exception is if they are Mikimoto or if they are important historic pearls. If you are trying to estimate what you might get for them, check sold listings on eBay for two-strand graduated pearl necklaces. that will give you an idea of what someone might pay for them. But if the buyer has to restring them, the value will be much less. Restringing can cost $3.00 or more per inch, per strand. If the buyer has to shell that out, they will offer less for them. If you pay to have them restrung, you may only break even when selling-- if that!

If you want to wear them yourself, then first clean them, and restring them yourself! I wrote a tutorial on how to do it, posted on this forum (sticky on the Lowly Beaders Club forum. It's not hard! And it saves money.
This is an EXCELLENT suggestion @bburkley66
Pearl Dreams is 100% on the spot here.

I have a little more time now to write about cleaning them. Cleaning them is the only way you will know what they actually look like!

I recommend using warm water with a mild soap swished in it (not dish soap-- too harsh.) I prefer to use distilled water because we have a well and our water is hard. Using soap with hard water creates a terrible scum that will dull the pearls. If you're not sure, play it safe and use distilled or bottled water instead of tap water. You also avoid chlorine that way.

Let the pearls soak 10 or 15 minutes to loosen the grime. Use a soft cloth, cotton swabs, or a soft brush to remove the grime. Rinse them in distilled water also. Lay them to dry on a soft towel for about 24 hours (knots and the thread inside the drill hole need time to dry.)
Then photograph them again and post the photos, if you like.

I'm the person who found the original info in the second link. It said Heller Pearls was a UK company that employed 2 people and started in 1977, but was now defunct.

However, your pearls appear to be much older than the 1970s. The style seems from the 1930s to the 50's. The Sears Roebuck card would make them from the USA, not UK.

Since finding that original link, I've now seen several Heller Pearl necklaces on eBay like jewelry sites, and they all have 10K gold clasps. The pearls seem to have been of fairly good quality originally. Your necklace was well loved, given how grimy it looks. By the way, the necklaces ranged from $35 to $700 (marked down from $1000). Needless to say the expensive one isn't selling at either price.

So, your necklace is not rare. They were Sears catalog pearls, and the clasp is a generic one and only 10K. Really good pearls would have had 14K to 18K fancier clasps, or included diamonds. If the necklace is sentimental, then have it cleaned and restrung and wear it. Or have it cleaned and restrung and try to sell it, but I doubt you'll get more than $100 for it, and I'm no expert on price, that's just a total guess without seeing how they look after cleaning.

Last edited:
I have these HELLER CULTURED PEARLS. I'm not sure value, history, any info would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• 20231222_095750.jpg
    20231222_095750.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 35
  • 20231222_095833.jpg
    20231222_095833.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 37
  • 20231222_095649.jpg
    20231222_095649.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 33
  • 20231222_095611.jpg
    20231222_095611.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
  • 20231222_095405.jpg
    20231222_095405.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 31
  • 20231222_091313.jpg
    20231222_091313.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 31
  • 20231222_091304.jpg
    20231222_091304.jpg
    876 KB · Views: 31
  • 20231222_091255.jpg
    20231222_091255.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 35
Hi sgu3: Please see my previous entry, which is right above your entry. I think it applies to your pearls, too.

Back