Inherited pearl necklace

Alixcola

I was given this necklace when my great aunt passed away and I'm trying to figure out what kind of Pearl's they are and how valuable the jewelry may be. 20190409_153946.jpg20190409_153939.jpg20190409_153913.jpg20190409_153854.jpg

They are freshwater pearls from China, the kind known as Rice Krispie pearls because of their appearance. These were popular in the 1970s and 1980s, before the Chinese figured out how to produce rounder, higher quality freshwater pearls.

They are not particularly valuable, but they are a piece of pearl history and can be fun to wear. If the clasp is gold, it will be the most valuable part of the necklace.
Here are a few recently sold strands on eBay-- you can see what they sold for ($36 and less):
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...sop=16&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&LH_TitleDesc=0

I agree, 1980's era Rice Krispie freshwater pearls. The torsade style was worn twisted. I have a similar necklace from my mother, and I actually like wearing not twisted. The pearls are pretty and fun to wear, but are not worth very much. $20 to $30 tops.

I love the way Rice Krispie pearls twinkle in low light. They’re like hundreds of fireflies settling down all at once!

Alixcola,

I'm fond of these "rice krispie" pearls also! Your necklace appears to have very high luster and it's possible the clasp is 14k gold. Pearls like this were also produced in Lake Biwa, Japan, but there isn't any way to tell as they were co-mingled with the Chinese pearls.

Is the length comfortable for you? If you like it and wished it were longer, one strand could be used to lengthen the other strands.

This jewelry is gorgeous. I have been looking for the similar jewelry

Back