Inexpensive Tahitian and Blue Akoya Necklace

Gemandpearlover

Made this 36 inch necklace recently. I might add another stand of Tahitians and blue Akoyas to make a 72 inch rope. I have a ton of inherited blue Akoyas and it is fun to finally put them to use since I learned how to string pearls. :)

Attachments

• IMG_0758.jpg
    IMG_0758.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 42
That turned out really well Gemandpearllover, the blue akoyas looks really lovely.

That's lovely, Gemandpearlover! What size are the blue pearls, if I may ask? Sometimes the close-up photos make things looks so large.

That turned out really well Gemandpearllover, the blue akoyas looks really lovely.

Thank you Charlotta. :) It was only after the necklace was made that I noticed two slipped knots. I am not sure why that happens as I didn't notice this until after the necklace was made. So I thought since I need to restring the necklace and fix that issue maybe I should just make a longer rope. I love my blue Akoyas but at 7 to 8.5 mm I always wish they were bigger.

Edited to add that I don't have calipers but when I just measured the pearls they start at 8mm not 7mm as I thought.

Last edited:
That's lovely, Gemandpearlover! What size are the blue pearls, if I may ask? Sometimes the close-up photos make things looks so large.

Hi CricketBug. The Tahitians are 9 to 11mm and the blue Akoyas are 8 to 8.5mm. I will be adding a strand of 10-13mm Tahitians and a strand of 8 to 8.5 Akoyas when I hopefully make a longer rope.

Edited to add that I don't have calipers but when I measured the pearls they start at 8mm not 7mm as I thought.

That looks great. Keep in mind that this necklace might get heavy. Plus, the longer the rope, the harder it is to string. Have you thought about adding clasps so that each stringing is shorter and you can link them together at will? It's always annoying to get 2 or 3 feet into a long rope and suddenly find out you have a bad knot somewhere.

That's a nice size for blue Akoyas, Gemandpearlover. Yours look like they're a lovely quality.

Gemandpearllover, I sometimes find slipped knots on my strands as well, even though I am careful. I think a longer strand would be lovely. Tahitians goes o well with blue.

Thank you Bweaves, Cricketbug, Lilpearl and Charlotta. :) Also Bweaves thank you for your great suggestion.

I had the slipped knot happen the other day. I think , in my case, the thread twisted between the knot and the pearl and curled up by the knot so it looked like part of the knot. At some point it let go and the pearl dropped 3 mm . Only way I can think that I ended up with a knot...3mm the pearl and a knot. I knot with the strand hanging down so that gravity helps keep the pearl sitting on top of the knot.

I've also had the odd pearl with a slightly larger drill hole that swallows a knot and sits on top of another pearl.

Most annoying when these problems appear as it's almost always after you've finished .

Back