Import Pearls

It's amazing how quickly you can do a rough conversion in your head by the end of a shopping trip. I thought I was doing okay with USD, GBP, HKD and now you through yen and mommes into my head!

If you only buy a bit of pearls. Custom will permit to pass. But if you buy lots of them. they will not let you pass. there are rule of quantity and weight in law. better read some custom law.

It can be daunting pricing out lots that are priced in yen and by momme. Dividing the number of pearls by the momme weight tells you the average size of the lot. Then you check the current exchange rate to get the list price for the average size. It's not too bad with a graded, separated lot. But when the lots are mixed, it's really difficult.

That sounds like some horrible secondary school maths exam question!

It's even worse at auction. A lot of the offered lots have undisclosed reserves. So it's up to the buyer to do all the math and then bid for the value of the lot, trying to get as close to the reserve as possible. If the buyer overshoots the reserve but a considerable amount, the producer pockets the difference.

Carrying pearls through airport

Carrying pearls through airport

I wonder if anyone has any experience of carrying pearls through the airports in mainland China. If you want to bring pearls back to the UK or US as part of your own baggage, do you need to declare or pay any tax at the airport in Mainland China? Do you have to pay again if you leave from Hong Kong?

Really appreciate your feedback.

Thanks!

You don't pay taxes or duties when leaving anywhere, only on importing
The rules are VERY different importing into EU and USA

Thanks for your reply Wendy.

But do you still need to fill out the declaration form before departure? Or is it not necessary? I wonder if someone would stop you at the security checks and ask questions.

as far as I know, no. I do sometimes wonder why they don't query festoons of findings in my carry on which must look weird in the xray but no.
the only departure formality is a currency declaration when leaving the EU.

When you buy pearls from Jewelmer in the Philippines they prepare an export paper for you, otherwise they might be confiscated

When you buy pearls from Jewelmer in the Philippines they prepare an export paper for you, otherwise they might be confiscated at the exit border in this country

On what ground might they be confiscated in the Phillipines? And is it might or will be confiscated without the paperwork?

I'm just starting small pearl business. Recently I bought about 60 freshwater pearls strands of various sizes and quality, not exceeding $3000 in original value for all. They are being made into necklaces and finished product I'm planning to bring to USA either via shipment/mail or in luggage. What quantity can I ship/mail/carry on without paying tax? Your advice is greatly appreciated.

VTC, I don't know, but are these finished necklaces you are importing or loose strands?
Because I thought I read somewhere that there is no customs charge on loose pearls. I'm not a vendor so don't base any decisions on that!!!

Back