Identify??

Alext07

I found a bag of loose flat round pearls in my Grandmother's things. They were given to her by my Grandfather from WWII, so are probably from Japan. I was reading online and looking at pictures, I believe they may be a variation of quahog pearls. Can anyone help to shed some insight on these? Thank you in advance! IMG_8427.jpg

Can we see a bigger photo or close ups of the pearls? Thanks!

Are they flat on the back? The top right appears to have a rim where it may be capped. If that is the case and they are pearls, they are mabe pearls. If from Japan, they would likely be from the Pteria penguin, or Mabe-gai, not a quahog.

Upclose

Upclose

IMG_8486.jpgIMG_8487.jpg

Sorry for the delay. Here are some up close pictures of the fronts and backs, thank you for any help/advice!

The swirl pattern is an indication. They could be "osmena" pearls, which are really the inner part of a Nautilus shell. :)

Or an operculum - a kind of door on a gastropod opening. Probably more likely an operculum than an osmena.

It's an operculum as Gemgeek says. the lid that covers the snails. It is called the Eye of Shiva or the Pacific Cat's Eye. I've picked up some at beaches.

Thanks for the scientific name GG and perlas. All I could think of was Eye of Shiva. I have some of those drilled as beads. Very pretty indeed.

I realized what they were when I saw the swirls too. We used to grill the snails when we were growing up in Japan. I never thought to save the end caps. They do look pretty cool.

Back