id of pearls

nima

dsc01403u.jpg
hi,can someone advice if it is worth sending these pearls for identification.they are of different shapes ,have orient,but are not round one side is flat,they are not uniform on the surface.do you think i should id them.
dsco1402yg.jpg
they range from 9-14mm.thanx

yup looks like Chinese cultured freshwater pearls, no need to send them to a lab.

I'll third that. Defo freshwaters, rather dull natural colours, some patches of lustre.If they have a flat side not even semi round, just potatoes. Sorry
What sort of pearls were you hoping these would be? From where did you get them? Hope you did not pay more than a very few ?/$

they were just lying around just wondered what they were.thanx anyway

Definitely agree with Wendy & dmj in their assessment of these pearls. They look similar to the Chinese fresh waters I made a bracelet out of (Pic attached) Enjoy them in good health!

Cheers
Ash

Attachments

• P1000920
    P1000920
    18.5 KB · Views: 43
if i were to buy good pearls how am i supposed to know if they are of good quality.the only thing i'm familiar with is to look for orient or rainbow colors under good light.if these chinese pearls also have orient in them how do i recognise the good pearls what are the other ids.i have to mention that these pearls above have good orient which i cannot capture in the pic.so how do i differentiate.i'm on the hunt to buy some good pearls.thankx

Do you want a necklace or other piece of pearl jewelry, or do you want loose pearls to make your own jewelry?

The price usually tells you the quality as far as roundness goes. The priciest pearls are the roundest and smoothest and most lustrous. The next most pricey are less round and or smooth, but just as lustrous. Even commercial or beading quality pearls can be intensely lustrous. They just won't be very round. It is easy to see good luster. The more shiny, the better. The more orient, the better, and these can be found in pearls of almost any price level.

thankx caitlin,actually i'm looking for loose pearls .i just want 12-15mm pearls of the best orient and quality.which look closest to the natural pearls and i just want 4-5 pearls to make a set .of pendant,earrings and a ring.what is the difference between a freshwater non nucleated pearl and a natural pearl.

Last edited:
what is the difference between a freshwater non nucleated pearl and a natural pearl.

Saltwater natural pearls, especially good quality are rarely found and very expensive. Non-nucleated freshwater pearls are inexpensive and available in huge volumes.

Attachments

• 20" FW baroque coin natural colors necklace with matching earrings
    20" FW baroque coin natural colors necklace with matching earrings
    25.1 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Back