ID help requested please!

Goodness, those pearls have cleaned up well. Love the clasp.

Those worn pearls look very much like the graduated vintage akoyas I had and wore for many years, they had a pretty clasp too and I reused them with other beads (my avatar). Perhaps that was the shape of the nucleus they used back then.

I thought what you said above, Orient, was interesting, and definitely to bear in mind, Massrog
Quote It is not unknown to have necklaces where some are natural and some are cultured." Just something to keep in mind and with graduated necklaces possessing nice clasps this factor should at least be in the back of one's mind.

Thanks Happy Huku! It has stuck in my mind through personal experience. Once had a necklace in my hands that were all bead cultured apart from around 6 pieces which turned out to be natural and they weren't all at the ends either! You learn from your experiences!

Thanks everyone! The boss took it to our jeweler to get the clasp cleaned and met their stringer and left it with her to restring all the usable pearls. She said that she'd use silk to keep everything "correct" and thought we'd end up with at least 15 inches which on my wife's neck would be fine. When it comes back I'll post the finished piece.

We got the strand back this afternoon. We almost made V-day but you can't win em all! The original yielded a 15" finished strand including the clasp. I think it turned out well (at least she's not looking at me questioningly anymore) particularly considering what it was! First a neck shot...

Attachments

• 20200215_175034.jpg
    20200215_175034.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2782.jpg
    IMG_2782.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2785.jpg
    IMG_2785.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2787.jpg
    IMG_2787.jpg