I do not know what kind of pearls i have?

gregpeeler

I inherited a pearl necklace from my grand-mother who has recently passed away, it was in no box just a bag and id like to know what kind of pearls they are/ where i could get an appraisal? I attached 2 pictures to this, the only thing it says on it is on the clasp(the one with the little pearl on top) and it has "silver" edged into it.

Attachments

• PEARL.jpg
    PEARL.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 24
  • PEARL2.jpg
    PEARL2.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 26
Greg, Welcome.

Very sorry to hear about your Grandmother. Would it be possible to rephotograph the pearls on a white paper towel? What is the length of the necklace? The pearls appear to be cultured pearls, probably akoya with very nice luster. The silk doesn't appear to be very stretched out or soiled, as some older pearls naturally are. Any idea when or where your Grandmother might have acquired them? Or when you first saw her wear them? Were they a gift to her?

A few more photos and we can hopefully piece together a little more info for you and an approx value, although we do not do actual appraisals from photographs.

Last edited:
I count 85 pearls and judging from the size of the hook end of the clasp, it looks like the end pearls are quite dainty.

It looks like a gradated Akoya strand. Can you measure the smallest and largest pearls?

I had to "park" the cursor a few times while counting to talk with family and watch Olympics. ;)

I'm impressed. I would have lost count the second something else caught my attention. :)

If I need to count past 10, I sometimes have to take my shoes off....

Back