how to prevent "V" shape when wearing strands

lovely

Hi! Quick question.

I notice that when I wear strands that are longer than 16" they tend to form a slight V at the bottom rather than staying a nice curved/rounded shape.

Any suggestions on how to prevent this? (Other than constantly adjusting it) Thank you!

This will depend on the length of the strand and the size of your boobs and the shape of your blouse. Wearing pearls over collared shirts will widen the necklace and also pull it further back which will give the necklace a U shape. Cashmere sweaters always make pearls lay nicely. T shirts and thinner fabric tops will make the necklace form into the V above your boobs.

Make use of that V and hang a pearl enhancer there!

Last edited:
This will depend on the length of the strand and the size of your boobs and the shape of your blouse. Collared shirts will widen the necklace and also pull it further back which will give the necklace a U shape. Cashmere sweaters always make pearls lay nicely. T shirts and thinner fabric tops will make the necklace form into the V above your boobs.

Make use of that V and hang a pearl enhancer there!

Thanks so much for the helpful info! I usually wear 18" or 20" while I wear a "U" shaped blouse. The pearls tend to lay directly on my skin. Im checking out pearl enhancers right now, although if you have any other general tips on maintaining the U shape directly on the skin, I'd be very grateful!

One way to have pearls maintain a rounded shape is to string them without knots on a cable wire, or heavy designer wire (nylon coated multi-ply stainless steel). Some of these wires are very flexible, others stiffer. To give a look of knots, add tiny (1mm or so) spacer beads of metal or glass, or bead bumpers . How do you feel about this idea, lovely?

Sometimes it is tricky getting the necklace just the right length.

There's one little thing I've noticed. It isn't always very obvious, nor is it always possible, but I'll throw it out there, as it also has implications for enhancers. I've found that strands with a larger central pearl tend to "V" more than a strand where the center of the strand is the space between 2 center pearls. Without the weight of that central pearl, I get more of a "U" drape than that "V". It also makes an enhancer easier to add to that space between the 2 center pearls. So if you have the option to specify how your strand is knotted, that might help ... but it's a small thing.

It's especially noticeable in tin cup styles I think. That center pearl pulls down into a sharp V when the necklace is longer than right up at the throat. I prefer those with the chain being center as well. But all personal preference and opinion of course. Short tin cups with a stunning central pearl showstopper can't be beat either :)

If it makes you feel better, the V shape makes your neck look longer and thinner.

Plus, pearls move around when you walk and move. They don't stay in a solid V the entire time you're wearing them. They only look like that when you're standing still while looking in a mirror.

I like BWeaves reasoning ... all good points (especially the "longer/thinner" ones) :)

lovely, I read your post and it makes me think of the manner to draw the best ceramics kiln vaults : we hang a metallic chain between two nails, and the parabolic shape of the chain gives us the reversed plan to built the vault. Then, if the chain is thin but heavy and nails close, parabolic curve is nearly sharp like a V...
That's really a man's opinion:eek:

Back