How low will you go?

SunSeeker

Ok, what I really mean is, how small, not how low. That is, at what point do you stop knotting between each and every pearl? ...5 mm, ....4 mm, ??? I imagine it would take forever to complete a necklace, say knotting between, every 4mm pearl. But would it look good? Designers, what say you?

(Ho! lol I thought you were going to ask "how low would you go to cut out pearl-buying competition"!

Could be some interesting dirt here, thought I...)

...lol, actually I was thinking about limbo dancing! But I do have some smaller pearls and was thinking about doing a multi-strand, and wondering how frequently to set the knots because at some point the knotting becomes disproportionatey larger, which I don't think is a good look.

My triple from Hong Kong (maybe 6.5mm ish pearls?) were only knotted between the last three pearls at the end of each strand. The vintage triple golden akoya I just bought is re-strung the same way. Personally, I like the look of no knots -- as long as one is willing to live with the consequences of potentially losing a lot of pearls if a strand breaks.

When re-knotting my vintage graduated akoya strands I knotted all the way to the end pearls which were about 3mm.

I used a fine wire needle, and 10# test Power Pro, for strength while still being a very thin thread that could pass through tiny holes twice (for back-knotting at the clasp.) .

I'd probably knot between each pearl, even if very small. Hopefully the hole size would also be small, so the thread can be in proportion. The smallest I've knotted between each pearl so far has been an eyeglass holder for myself, 3.5-4mm, 25 inches long.

Certainly power pro or fireline are good options for strength. Many beaders seem to prefer fireline over powerpro. I'm going to pick some up at our newly opened Cabelas and try it out.

Of all the reasons to knot between pearls, flexibility and drape seems so important, yet it is seldom, if ever, mentioned. With smaller pearls and no knots, one still has some flexibility, which is lost as pearls get larger.

Last edited:
Thanks BAS, Pearl Dreams, and Pattey! I think I'll try the knots between each pearl and see how it looks.

LOL Lisa .. how funny ! You always make me smile !

Since I avoid small pearls like the plague ... I can't say that I knot between each one. Personally I don't think I'd have the patience if it were long ... I'd probably try about every 5th pearl... but if it's a short necklace... probably wouldn't know except at the end if they were 4mm .. I'd be afraid that the knots would 'take over' the look..at least my knots would lol Try an experimental row and see how the knots look.

(((Kath)))

I'm actually a nice person (mostly), just every once in a while this naughty person stretches and yawns, and takes over the pen.
Yeah, that's it! Naughty, but not Nasty.

Last edited:
I tried knotting some 3mm pearls but I didn't like the look - the knots became too apparent. On the other hand, I've knotted 2.5mm ovals (measured perpendicularly, so actually around 3.5-4mm long) which looked quite good, since the knot blended well with the shape.

Good point, Lady D, regarding shape. I agree that the knots should be subtle and not overpower the piece. I'm gonna try knotting each pearl, assuming the holes are tiny enough that I can use a small thread, and my patience endures!

Not a good time of year to go all Naughty Lisa ... Santa's makin that list...[/QUOTE]

LOL, good one ;-D
Wah! What was I thinking? You're so right, Kath, time for a pre-holiday Straighten Up and Fly Right correction.

Back