How do you care for your freshwater pearls?

I save all my receipts and original boxes for anything I consider nice - jewelry, silver and purses.

Are pearl folders the type of storage that literally has four sides that fold over the pearl and each other? The way you would close a storage box. I remember my grandmother had something like that.

I had the same question - and was directed to this thread. ;)

I'm running out of space in what my hubby calls: a "rather large" jewelry box. And I want to be able to see my pearls at a glance and choose the one I would wear. I do keep the nice boxes and bags that I receive, but I don't keep my pearls in them. Right now, the pearls are getting crowded and I'm thinking of a dedicated box or organizer for pearls only.

The first idea is to hang my strands in my closet. Does hanging the strand weaken the silk and would require restringing earlier than if I lay my strands flat?

The second idea is to get a separate organizer. I saw these nice trays at storables. You can stack them or you can buy a lid to cover the pearls, and they are stackable with a nice lining. Infinite expansion.

What do you guys think?
Thanks!

Hi Reiah,

if you are a beader/stringer, hanging the necklaces is OK since you can restring them any time. If the pearls are small, the hanging won?t affect them as much as with larger pearls.

A separate organizer might be a good idea but I personally would be a bit worried having the pearls "out in the open" so to say, i.e. easily available if your flat/house should be visited by unwished for persons.

I think storage in the original boxes would be OK but for the place all these boxes need and as we all are adicted to pearls we have to find something else. I have a Safe, unfortunately as I have also lots of documents in it, I am running out of space there too...

Silk bags are small and very practical, you can save the original boxes in case you want to sell some pearls and still place for more fuiture buys.:D

I have made up a inventory with each bag numbered so I can see what type of pearls are in a certain and so being able to find the pearls at almost one glance.

I too would like to see a pearl folder, have never heard anything like it so far. Perhaps Knotty can take a photo of one.

Pearl folder. I think all the normal bead suppliers who handled packaging handle folders as well. Straps that puppy in so the clasp doesn't move around. Sueki has the best storage of all, though.

Attachments

• pearl folder.jpg
    pearl folder.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 44
I like the folder-- you can readily see the strand in it. I've never seen those before-- or never noticed, anyway.

Jerin,
Thanks for reminding me about security. I hadn't thought of that! My current jewelry box locks, so at least the pearls are kind of safe. Well, just the top drawer locks, and it's really getting full. Perhaps I need a new lockable solution. Back to the drawing board...

Pearl folders look nice! Where can we get them?
Reiah

@@@

@@@

Jerin,
Thanks for reminding me about security. I hadn't thought of that! My current jewelry box locks, so at least the pearls are kind of safe. Well, just the top drawer locks, and it's really getting full. Perhaps I need a new lockable solution. Back to the drawing board...

Pearl folders look nice! Where can we get them?
Reiah

But that doesn't stop the thieves from taking the whole box. I am trying to find the best solution too. :confused:I have a safe, but it's not good for pearls due to lack of air & humidity. Leaving it in the jewelry box doesn't stop thieves from removing it. :(The silk pouch is a nice idea but I can't see through the pouch to figure out what's inside at a glance. Does organza work? I am thinking of sewing a few pouches in organza because it's see through. However, organza is stiff, not soft like silk.

I use organza bags to give away pearls. You can see through them. I now use red organza because red is a traditional color to store pearls in (In Bahrain at least, loose pearls are/were stored in red silk cloths, which when unfolded make a lovely background.)

I hang all my pearls up on pegs. When something stretches I restring it with Power Pro, which does not stretch.

If you are a pearl freak- really consider learning how to restring pearls.

There are three parts to it. Attach half the clasp, knot, attach the second half of the clasp. Honestly, it is as easy as it sounds. People are really afraid to learn, thinking they can't do it themselves.

It is so much easier than most things you do in a day. It is far easier than darning, tatting, embroidery, knitting, crocheting. It is about as easy as hemming as skirt. Easier because you can do the knotting without looking.

All you need is thread, a beading needle, scissors - gimp is optional. but very easy to use and makes a really nice professional finish.

bead

bead

Hi Caitlin,
I will go find a beginner's beading book to start. Your advice encourages me to try. Hemming skirt is so easy. If I can make my daughter's 1st Communion dress, I am sure I can learn to string pearls.
Is there any book you can recommend? Sorry for the digression.:)

I am looking. Actually Henrietta Virchek teaches pearl stringing with one thread- which I would never recommend, so use her two thread methods.
The trick is in starting and finishing-attaching the clasp.

The actual knotting is overhand knots- the ones you already know how to make. As long as you use a double thread, it will be easy to seat the knot by pulling the threads apart.

I am going to start a "Attaching Clasps" thread. There are several methods, though I favor one.

I just checked out a bunch of websites. About.com has a page called "knotting for cheaters" that each as the two thread method. That is ridiculous, just because using two threads is so fast and accurate compared to pushing a knot with an awl or tweezers on a single thread,(not to mention those confounded gadgets that cost $65 including the video you need to learn how to use it!) it is not cheating. It is the best way to knot because it is guaranteed to seat the knots properly without fail.

Last edited:
Hi Caitlin and All,

I'm wondering if this thread should go under "pearl care and cleaning so it won't get lost--there is so much good info here!

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

AHHH, Caitlin,

You do magic!

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

But that doesn't stop the thieves from taking the whole box. I am trying to find the best solution too. :confused:I have a safe, but it's not good for pearls due to lack of air & humidity. Leaving it in the jewelry box doesn't stop thieves from removing it. :(The silk pouch is a nice idea but I can't see through the pouch to figure out what's inside at a glance. Does organza work? I am thinking of sewing a few pouches in organza because it's see through. However, organza is stiff, not soft like silk.

She has a point there:D

I am looking. Actually Henrietta Virchek teaches pearl stringing with one thread- which I would never recommend, and Ruth Poris is a little beater, but teaches other methods that are inferior.

Caitlin,
actually she teaches how to knot with two threads, not only one.
Remember, I learned with the help of her book stringing and she teaches also about clasps, gimp (french bullion) or crimps and beadends and so on...

I hang all my pearls up on pegs. When something stretches I restring it with Power Pro, which does not stretch.

If you are a pearl freak- really consider learning how to restring pearls.

Caitlin,
What a great suggestion! I will learn how to string my pearls, and eventually, maybe making my own earrings. I'll check if my local beading store has classes and materials. If no classes, I am sure I can learn through books or online websites/videos. I pretty much learned how to knit/crochet through books.

If you put your pearls on pegs, are you concerned about security? Someone coming in and taking your pearls?
thanks,
Reiah

actually she teaches how to knot with two threads, not only one.
Actually, you are correct. I recommmend Henrietta's book. She has several methods, one of which should suit you.

For those who want other how to books, they are listed in the Pearl Books and Resources- I think.

Last edited:
For all those in the U.K., Ryman have a great 5 drawer chest. It's covered with faux leather and the drawers are lined with velour. I just bought one yesterday to store my unfinshed strands in. It's perfect for the purpose, in my opinion.
PG - I wear multiple strands a lot and haven't noticed any ill effects. And I love to hear the pearls clinking together.
And here's how I keep my own pearl jewellery.

Sueki, just got my Ryman's chest today - it's perfect!! LOADS of space! I even bought a second one for other jewelry. Great suggestion, thanks :)

Back