Hi can any body please tell me what type of pearls these are, thankyou

fazerpianist

hi i was just wondering about these pearls maybe they are vintage, are they worth a bit of money, thankyou:)

Attachments

• IMAG0722.jpg
    IMAG0722.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMAG0723.jpg
    IMAG0723.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 29
I am no expert, and am wondering if the black beads are real pearls or not, as they look too shiny and uniform to be real to me. If the pearls are real, then they are likely to be dyed cultured freshwater pearls.

The white pearls are early cultured freshwater pearls, affectionately known as the rice crispies due to their shapes.

Can't tell if the gold beads are solid gold, gold-filled or gold plated.

In terms of value, even if the black pearls are real, the necklace is unlikely to be of high value.

However, it looks like a very nice necklace all the same.

DK :)

The white pearls are early Chinese cultured freshwater pearls, age about 15 or so years. The black beads look to have facets so are not pearls - from the photos anyway. Could be anything from plastic to glass (passim Large black spinels) Gold beads could be solid or hollow or plated.
Does the necklace feel 'heavy' for mass or light.
Not vintage and value depends on the gold(!) beads more than anything. certainly not on the pearls. Sorry.

hello

hello

Hi thankyou, for your opinion on these pearls, it is much appreciated, fortunately, I can tell the difference between real pearls anf fake, and the black pearls are definately real, they are of a heavy weight and they are beautifully cool when you first wear them, the gold beads are definately glass and coated with a gold paint, there is no clasp so I am unable to identify who made them, I can tell the difference relating to baroque and ringed pearls, but not this type of pearls, there is roughly about 500 pearls, thankyou in advance for anybody who has taken the time to discuss my interest in these pearls, as I love them.

Hi Wendy thankyou for taking the time to look at my pearls, I have about 6 sets of pearls, mostly baroque and ringed, the black pearls are definately genuine as I can tell the difference between real and synthetic, what I dont know is the difference between the more classic shape and colours, how to tell freshwater, cultured, expensive or cheap,thankyou

my first thought was beads, they don't like any pearls I've seen.

If you pass one across the edge of your tooth, it is smooth or gritty?

Those are not pearls. They are Swarovsky glass pearls, that is, faux pearls. That is why they are cold like glass, Pearls are warmer, more like bone than glass. No cultured pearls ever attained that shade of black through any dye and more, there is absolutely no variation of any kind between the pearls in size, luster and shape. It is impossible to make a strand of cultured pearls that color and that matched, only machines can do that.

I know too. I have been doing beads for 40 years. I know my Swarovskis. In fact I have seen a number of variations on the theme of your necklace, on eBay- and in retail shops about 10-15 years ago.

The little ones are the earliest cultured pearls China ever produced. That was in the late 70's to late 80's when cultured pearls took a quantum jump in technology. I believe it was due to the fact the Chinese stared using a hybrid mussel inside of the one that produced the rice crispie pearls

The black beads do not look metallic enough to be hematite to me.

DK :)

Hematite is lovely stuff, but I agree, it would be colder and more shiny.

Back