Help your opinion with Akoya

Marcella

I am planning to buy Akoya pearl. The seller send me this picture, silver hue Akoya.
Is this real Akoya? Thank you for help.

WhatsApp Image 2019-10-28 at 01.06.22.jpeg

Hi Marcella,

We really can't tell what kind of pearls they are from the photo. They could be akoyas or freshwater pearls, or even imitation pearls.

The important thing is to buy from a reliable source. There are lots of sellers online who falsely list freshwater pearls as akoyas, Tahitians and South Sea pearls.

Akoya pearls typically have very high luster, even if the nacre is a very thin coating on the bead. These are probably Chinese freshwater pearls. What matters is if you like them and the price is good. Real akoya pearls of good quality cost much more than freshwaters. :)

Pearl Dreams has a point. For instance, a lot of eBay sellers show a photo of akoya pearls, but send freshwaters. :)

Low grade Akoya can look like this- kind of chalky, but it's not what you should be looking for if you're spending good money and want Akoya.

There's no way to be sure, but my first thought was imitation or shell pearl.

Would agree with finding a vendor you can trust if you have to buy without seeing. Plenty of trustworthy sources to find nice pearls around.

Thank you everyone for your kind response.
The seller is from Indonesia. They have physical store in Indonesia but i'm afraid their grading is a bit off.
I have asked for better image from the seller with wider choice of pearl. I will attach it here.
What is your opinion on this one?
Thank you again everyone in advance.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2019-10-28 at 18.45.48.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2019-10-28 at 18.45.48.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 45
oh sorry forgot to inform you, the seller also take picture for comparison with the south sea pearl.
the akoya is 2 pearl top left and 2 middle bottom. Please let me know whether the quality from these pearl any good.
Thank you again.

The top 2 on the left are definitely too large to be akoyas. They could be SSP or FWP.

If the model's fingers are anything like the size of my fingers, the 2 middle bottom pearls are also too large to be akoyas.

Back