Help With Pearl/Crystal Necklace Bracelet Set

plassfan7

Hello..

I know absolutely nothing about pearls. These came out of an estate sale, said to be vintage/antique, Sterling silver chain/clasp.

I paid $75 for the set.

Does anyone know what type of pearl and possible age & value?

Thanks for your help, Shannon

IMAG1004.jpgIMAG0999.jpgIMAG1014.jpg

My inexpert opinion - Freshwater pearls, natural color, my guess would be from the 1970's or more recent given the style and the findings. Hard for me to tell from the photo, but the beads between look like fire-polished crystal (glass) rondelles. Not particularly valuable, but a sweet set, handmade, and not a bad price given labor and silver prices.

Welcome to the forum!

Agree, they look like freshwater pearls. Wonder if the beads might be smokey quartz. I have some that look quite similar, purchased early to mid 80's. Enjoy your find!

I think it is a lovely set! The pearls aren't top quality, but it doesn't matter, because the overall "look" is great.

I am trying to remember when the Bali silver spacers came in and it was not the 80's. It was more like since 2000. Also the wired together look is more like 2005, though it is expanding a lot this very year. I am no expert who actually studied these things. I just buy beads, and have since the 60's, and I never saw those spacers in the 1980's or 90's. Also those faceted gemstones came into fashion since the turn of the Century. Before that, gemstone beads were more commonly smooth.

I am inclined to think these are smokey quartz because they look hand faceted. Each bead is a little different in carving. I love the way they seem to have a pink tone that reflects the pink in the pearls in one of those photos.

Those are really pretty beads!

I have been reading Strack for a project and noted a general timeline for Chinese freshwater pearls. The rice crispies came on the market in 1981. The first smooth as in, not crinkled, potato pearls came on the market in 1992 , buttons and circles between 1992-1994, and the first near rounds in 5mm come out in 1995. Larger than 5mm, after 1995.

That should help by establishing a "not before" date. No circled potato pearls before 1992, only crispies. No "round" before 1995 and it was years after that before they were larger than 6-7mm or so.

So no potato jewelry was made before 1992.

Last edited:
I think it was made within the past 15 years or so.

I also agree that the beads look like smoky quartz and the pearls are freshwater. These pearls will be nacre all the way through and will wear very well. Overall the items look sturdy. You can either enjoy the patina or polish the silver up a bit with a Sunshine cloth (avoid rubbing the pearls, though.)

Sidebar: Actually the Chinese were producing freshwater pearls in the 1970's but Japan bought them all and they were marketed as product of Japan they looked like and were sold as "Biwa" pearls according to Strack '06, p.420. It was 1981 when China started marketing their own pearls.

Wow, Lotsa Info- Thank you!

Wow, Lotsa Info- Thank you!

Not sure how to post a reply to all, so used the last response.

Thanks so much for all the great information, more than I expected.

In conclusion I have a "not so vintage" set of potato & rice crispy jewelry......hmmm. Not really the "snap , crackle, pop" expected, hah, but GLAD I only paid $75. They were half off from $150.

Again...thank you SO much! Shannon

Potato and circled, not rice crispy. I mentioned r-c pearls for historical dating purposes, (they actually come from a different mussel than the potato and circled ones anyway.)

The style of your piece is especially pretty and should have sold for $150.00 new -or more.

Last edited:
Shannon, it's a very pretty set. Just the sterling clasp, wire and those pretty spacer beads would add up if you had to buy them ... add in the pearls and what I also think look to be smoky quartz hand faceted beads, and you have a very good value ... hope you enjoy wearing it :)

Wow, I love the detective work, so much to learn!

Back