Help wanted with SS pearl ring design

Sea Urchin

I have a 13 mm white South Sea pearl on the way and I hope to have it set in a ring. But I can't find a setting I like. I like yellow gold and probably want a thin band or otherwise kind of delicate setting because I think it looks better on my hand. I want some diamonds with it also. Maybe rubies or other stone too, to add color. Hoping someone will have thoughts for me. :)

Last edited:
What do you all think of this setting? I've read that if the band is too thin, a larger pearl will be unbalanced and move around on the finger too much. I thought maybe the split shank is more stabilizing?

pearl ring6.jpg

Last edited:
That is a lovely setting. Yes, because the pearl is large and heavy, it might roll some, but there are some band liners that might help. Once I had 2 gold balls soldered inside the shank which helped, too. The way Daniel Moesker shapes the shanks on his rings can help a good deal, sort of triangular; have you seen those?

For some reason this didn't show up as a new post, sorry for the late comment.

Better to wear it with the occassional maintenance then to leave it in a box. Beautiful ring. Enjoy!

Thanks, Pattye and Gem Geek.

It is hard to find settings for pearls that large, especially when I need to be budget-minded this year. And then from what I do find, a lot of them are the thick, large setting that don't look good on my hand. I've already checked Stullar. The one above comes with the pearl but maybe if I ask, they'd just sell me the setting. I think I've seen it in more than one place so I assume I can track it down somewhere, maybe.

Also, I am not sure if the pearl size is enough to jazz up the ring or not. I don't want a boring ring! Maybe add some colored stones?

I don't see too many rings on the pearl boards. I wonder why they don't seem as popular as strands and earrings. I especially like wearing something that I can look at, too.

Last edited:
I'm with you on the rings! I love being able to see the pearl while I go about my daily life. :)

bwahahaha!

and now i want them ALL!

seaurchin, there's a few etsy sellers doing pearl rings - perhaps you could have one of them customize something for you? this Steve Lee seems to work with pearls quite a bit. i love this one, and instead of diamonds...a line of graded (graduated?)(ombre?) colored stones in whatever flavor you prefer....

il_570xN.342383862.jpg

and then there's the ominously-named william white, i do like this one, although probably way too bulky for what you're wanting:

il_570xN.428551944_gu5y.jpg

and OH my goodness, lookit this setting! Just might work - the shop owner says he does custom jobs!

il_570xN.334518243.jpg

So, I'm having it made, the photo in #2 above or something close to it anyway. I'll post pics when I get it.

P.S. Woo hoo! :)

So, I'm having it made, the photo in #2 above or something close to it anyway. I'll post pics when I get it.

P.S. Woo hoo! :)

I love that setting! Sarah (Kojima Pearls) has some in the same style. But what happened to the coloured stones and diamonds or did I mistake which setting you've chosen?

I still have an absolutely lovely halfdrilled button Kasumi pearls that I want for a ring, but with the prices on gold these days it's still just in a plastic bag in the drawer. Well, and labour too. My local jeweler wants $300 just for the work of a band with a peg, providing I supply the gold...

- Karin

Thanks, Karin. I decided to just go with the little diamonds. I am not good at picturing things that aren't in front of me and fear I'd ask for something that I hate in person! Mine is from IndoSeaPearls, along with the pearl. I've bought from her before. Lovely lady, lovely price. :)

Indah thought the pearl would look better more snuggled into the setting so she's going to change it a little. The pearl I chose is kind of pointy on one end (the bottom) so set a tad lower rather than "floating" makes the pearl appear rounder. Here are pics from her so far (she said the tiny diamonds are more sparkly in real life): :)

p1.jpgp2.jpgp3.jpgp5.jpg

Last edited:
That looks great :)

Diamonds attract fat (as in what the body gives off) so the diamonds might look less bright if you touch them. For diamonds I always clean them with diluted detergent and a soct toothbrush when I put them away for the day to keep the sparkle maximized. Any opponions on how a pearl would feel about that?

- Karin

Thanks! I can't wait to get it.

Ooh, I didn't even think about cleaning it. I just dunk my other rings in a jar of jewelry cleaner from the store. I think they have some "gentle" cleaner for pearls and opals. Maybe that?

OH MY that is just gorgeous! ISP did a great job on ring design! can't wait to see it on YOU! oh you will be so happy! :)

i bet if you're super careful with the toothbrush, you can brush your diamonds with a mild soap, and then just wipe down the pearl after rinsing the ring. unless you get the pearl extremely dirty, i'd not brush it - the gradual wear and tear would wear down the nacre, if nothing else. (don't forget to brush the inside of the ring, clean out behind those diamonds to keep them at their sparkliest! and be gentle, it doesn't take a lot to get gold and diamonds happy again)

Back