Help - Pearl necklace pictures - What am I looking for?

novicepearl

Hello,

I am new to this forum and to pearls as well... I am looking to purchase a pearl strand necklace and would like to get the best stand that I could afford. I have done some research and contacted some of the reputable shops that many people suggest on here...

Attached are 3 options of Akoya Handama stands... the top one is pinked and the bottom two are natural white.

What am I looking for in the pictures...? I can see the color differences but not sure what else to look for in the pictures or ask for? Should I ask for the certificates to see the thickness of the nacre?

Any help is surely appreciated... Also if you have a favorite one out of these 3 let me know... I am kind of indifferent, but think I like the middle one the best.

Thanks in advance!

Beauty in the middle of no where...

They are all beautiful-- the middle strand is not knotted yet so may look different to you than the bottom one but to me they look alike. Choose the one that pleases you --you cannot go wrong with those strands! I favor the natural color as well but it's a matter of taste.

I'm sure the certificate will be sent with the strand.

Thank you for the reply...

Though is possible, I am still looking for a bit more direction. With such a loose grading system and lack of consistency in utilizing that system amongst different shops (at least this is the way that it appears to me... sorry if that is incorrect or offends anyone), how do you grade quality of the pearls?

What am I looking for in the pictures?

I realize that the certificate will be sent with the necklace, but should I ask to see it before I purchase (similar to purchasing a diamond, anyone in their right mind would ask to see the GIA or AGS cert. before purchasing)... and if I did, what would I look for in the certificate? Is this valuable information to have before purchasing and could it help make a determination on quality?

Sorry, just very new to this world and there are tremendous price differences with what appears to be the same grade of pearls... so I assume there is a difference, just not sure how to determine that.

Thank you!

Here is my personal opinion: take it for what it's worth. These are organic gems, so there are bound to be small variations even among the highest graded strands, which these are, all being Hanadama.

Unless you are able to choose them in person (the best option of all), you have to trust the reputation of the vendor, the fact that they have certificates as being Hanadama, and a solid return policy if you find you do not like them. I don't think seeing the certificates would mean a lot because the strands are all in that elite range to qualify as Hanadama, and numbers won't tell you what will appeal to your eye. You can ask for more (or close-up) photos, I suppose, if you think it will help you decide which one pleases your eye more.

If these are from Pearl Paradise, I can only say that I've been happy with all my purchases from them.

Last edited:
Just a personal opinion and it may be an artifact of the photograph - by artifact I mean focus. The center strand seems to have a finer, more distinct luster but is that because it's the strand most in focus, or because the surface reflection is actually finer? Also, the natural (un-pinked) color strands are wonderfully appealing re color.

Have you been to the Pearl Paradise website section that illustrates the different grades of pearls? It's a great help when you're trying to train your eye to see differences.

Last edited:
The Middle Strand looks very sharp in its surface reflection. The pink one is a beautiful colour and my focus is drawn to that! The reputation from the supplier your are buying it from will definitley help you make your choice as well.

Good luck!

I agree that the lustre of middle strand looks the sharpest but possibly due to the focus of the camera. They're all beautiful... =) I would make the choice based on 1) whether you already have similar strands; so get the natural if you already have a necklace with a pink overtone, and 2) which appeals to you most.

Hello,

I am new to this forum and to pearls as well... I am looking to purchase a pearl strand necklace and would like to get the best stand that I could afford. I have done some research and contacted some of the reputable shops that many people suggest on here...

Attached are 3 options of Akoya Handama stands... the top one is pinked and the bottom two are natural white.

What am I looking for in the pictures...? I can see the color differences but not sure what else to look for in the pictures or ask for? Should I ask for the certificates to see the thickness of the nacre?

Any help is surely appreciated... Also if you have a favorite one out of these 3 let me know... I am kind of indifferent, but think I like the middle one the best.

Thanks in advance!

View attachment 14739

Akoya pearl and seawater pearl always has nucleus. the nacre of best level Akoya pearl only 0.6mm. Only use x-ray could test it. pay more. While Freshwater pearl is without nucleus. To judge quality of pearls from its luster, surface perfection, shape,size, nacre(for seawater pearl). not by where cultured it. Chinese freshwater pearl could be as good as Akoya pearl.
I have China national pearl criteria. It define how to test and judge quality of pearl.

I have a strand of metallic white freshwaters I think compares very well to akoyas for sharp shine. Akoyas can not compare to it for natural pinky, coppery overtones, though. It is my favorite white necklace, including my naturals!

Can you translate the Chinese National Pearl Criteria, so we could understand it? It sounds fascinating.

Hi Jeremy! Are round metallic whites still rare?

If a Hanadama strand comes with a certificate from Japan Science Laboratory, there should be no concerns about quality. :)

Back