Help needed to validate discovery of saccostrea glomerata ? Natural pearl

the value thing has to do with low demand, if you buy it from someone who does not give a damn the price will be low i bought quite some pearls found bye people eating oysters and never payed more then 50 usd because they are not the most pretty things out there and are not big

however if you find a 20 mm perfect round osyter pearl in a nice color i will be happy to pay thousands just like any other dealer here :)

if you wanted a 5 mm pearl like this from a oyster ( maybe not your type but other rock oyster or maybe actually the same type since i have oyster pearls from nz just never asked the specie ) i could get you one for under 50 usd for sure ) does that make the value also there not really because when i ask 2000 and someone is willing to pay that than thats the value its like art :)

anyhow treasure that you found it ! most people here can only dream of finding one one day

Last edited:
Even though it isn't a monetary windfall, it really is a cool little treasure. You have bragging rights! :)

Hello Caitlin,
wrote all this out as a reply to your thread but reply was wiped out.
I'll keep it short.
I thought it was interesting too.
Told rare, then, "not as common as",also read elsewhere... of little value..a shame because I
believe I have a REAL PEARL, not a man made CULTURED ONE...but the other dominates the industry.
If mine were as large as the legendary fabled heirlooms of history then it might be regarded as having some worth..bit unfair.
Lastly, no answers forthcoming to questions asked about whether another pearl from ...Glomerata even exists????

You might try contacting ThePearlCollector.com as they are experts in natural pearls. Perhaps they will have specific info about glomerata.

Back