Help IDing a few strands

TahitianDreamin

Hey ladies and gents,

Long time no post! Still lurk from time to time though. :) Well I have been on another vintage pearl buying spree and I was hoping you guys could help me ID these pearl types. If you go left to right 1-6 I had posted 1 last year and was told they were tahitian and mostly included that as a reference strand.

I am really interested in what you guys think of 2 and 3, where 3 came in a "Sharon's Store" box. I know a little bit about her store but I was wondering not only what type of pearls you think these are but also if you do indeed think they came from there. Also any info you guys have about Sharon's (what they sell, if you've been, what type of prices do they REALLY have, etc) I'd love to know just in case I ever get to China I guess. Haha.

Also esp interested in your guys' thoughts on 5 and 6. I think #4 is akoya and I've had them for a while but I don't think I have posted them before. Findings are all either sterling or unmarked. I have a couple 14k clasps laying around which is why I wanted to definitively ID #6 so I can feel OK about throwing a new clasp on there. I mean I'll have to anyway because that lobster claw is just garbage but you know.

MMs (approx) are as follows:

1 - 10 mm and 8 mm (largest and smallest; graduated)
2 - 8-9 mm (do these seem sort of potato-y to you guys?)
3 - 7-8 mm
4 - 8.5-9 mm
5 - 14 mm and 11 mm (largest and smallest; graduated)
6 - 9-10 mm

If you guys want more pictures please let me know!! Now I have to go peruse the forum some more. :D

IMG_7197.jpg
IMG_7198.jpg
IMG_7199.jpg
IMG_7200.jpg
IMG_7201.jpg
IMG_7202.jpg
IMG_7203.jpg

I think your numbers don't match up with the photos, but here goes:

The top strand (white): FWP
Second strand: dyed FWP
Third strand (white) looks like akoyas to me
Fourth strand, dyed FWP
Fifth strand, dyed FWP
Sixth strand, I'd like to see a few more photos of that strand by itself in different light, with close ups of some of the blemishes.

I think 1-5 are freshwater, #6 has Tahitian-like blemishing -- so possibly Tahitian.

But then there are those tiny pearls near the clasp that seem to be FWP. So maybe FWP after all.

On #3: Could they be a mix?

Only comment I can offer is that the last strand does appear to be Tahitian, but I'd like to see a photo of it alone on a white background in indirect lighting.

You have a nice collection of fun necklaces! I would restring the dyed strands (they appear to be strung with white thread).

Back