Help ID my pearls please

lovemypearls

I was gifted, and also bought, multiple strands of pearls in approximately 1994. The source was QVC and possibly HSN. I do not have the documentation that came with them and would like to verify what kind of pearls these are.

They are all either 5.5mm or perhaps 6mm, and they have 14k gold clasps (two styles totally). They are cultured pearls, but not freshwater. I called QVC this week and the only record they could find was for an 18" strand of 5.5mm pearls, which cost $373.00 in 1994. Other than the 14k stamp on the clasp, I cannot see at ID marks.

I'm not sure how your monitors will show the color, but to my naked eye they are creamy, not pure white

Can anyone tell me what kind of cultured pearls these are? I'm hoping that the "clues" of QVC/HSN, the cost in 1994, the 14K clasps and perhaps the color will indicate type and quality. Was there a common pearl in the American consumer market in the mid-90s?

Thanks to all in advance!

Attachments

• pearlstrand1.jpg
    pearlstrand1.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 28
  • pearlstrand2.jpg
    pearlstrand2.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 27
  • pearlstrand3.jpg
    pearlstrand3.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 29
They look like akoya pearls to me, too.

Unfortunately, QVC/HSN sold everything and anything, so if they did not keep good records, then it's impossible for us to know what they sold. But the size and look is that of akoya pearls.

I bought a rope (about 32 inches) of 5.5 mm akoyas in 1983 with a gold and diamond ball clasp, and it cost me $800 from a wholesale jewelry market. So the price of your strand seems about right.

Last edited:
I know HSN sold Akoya pearls (still do). I don't know what QVC sold in their early days, but they quickly narrowed their offerings to freshwater pearls, especially after Honora came on board.

Back