Help finding Tahitian pearl necklace UK

lavenderjade

Community member
Hi everyone

I am hoping you can assist me in my search for a reliable online seller of Tahitian pearl necklaces either in the UK or that will ship to the UK without horrendous shipping charges or import duty. I want something I can wear daily and I really like either mulicolour Tahitian pearl necklaces or if anyone can find a more unusual style of necklace featuring Tahitian pearls and perhaps other pearls as well, that would be lovely.

My budget is about ?1250 or under ;) Thank you

Anyone who buys jewellery from overseas..like the USA and has it shipped to the UK , or anywhere really, will have to pay duty. A seller cannot waive duty , it has nothing to do with them. Duty is the responsibility of the buyer and is assessed by their country. All the countries have different rules. Wendy, at Pearlescence is a lawyer who sells pearls in the UK and can probably explain the taxes and dutys far better that I can. She is a member here as well. I'm sure there are others who sell over there but I'm not sure who they are.

Duty is always something that has to be considered when buying overseas, as well as the cost of insured shipping for expensive items, it's not the sellers fault if you are hit with a large bill.

Last edited:
Wendy of pearlescence sells Tahitians. Or at least, she has in the past.

Yes, sorry, it was a sr moment here. A VERY senile, senior moment.

Wendy Graham of Pearlescence still sells Tahitians. . www.Pearlescence.co.uk.

She is firmly, stable-y, reliably a terrific Tahitian pearl merchant. :-D

Last edited:
Concur with Katbran re: shipping charges and import duties when purchasing any high end jewellery from abroad, however, it is still worth it IMHO, and I have not bought anything locally in the UK since I discovered the joy of internet shopping in the late 1990's.

DK :)

Last edited:
Hi Lavenderjade,

It's true there is always import duties on goods from outside the EU. It is reflected in the price of goods you buy inside the EU. That's why it appears to be cheaper to buy from outside. But the EU sellers have already paid the duty and of course it is included in the price.

Basically you just need to add the shipping plus duty to the total costs when you make your decision. Sometimes what you want can only be had from a seller outside the EU. Sometimes it's still less expensive and sometimes you find you can get what you want in your own country as you also have to consider the problems with returning an item.

For some of the lowest prices on Tahitian's, you might want to check out Jos?: http://www.tahitianpearls.biz

- Karin

Thank you for the recommendation. I understand about the import duty (VAT) and I realise that it is not the seller that imposes it but for example Pearl Source gives the prices already including taxes and offers free shipping. I wanted something a bit different than their offerings, a more quirky design necklace perhaps. I will have a look at Pearlescence, thank you and any other recommendations greatly appreciated! I saw some lovely necklaces on a website called Kamoka but some are a little out of my price range when I add on the VAT :(

Thank you for the recommendation. I understand about the import duty (VAT) and I realise that it is not the seller that imposes it but for example Pearl Source gives the prices already including taxes and offers free shipping. I wanted something a bit different than their offerings, a more quirky design necklace perhaps. I will have a look at Pearlescence, thank you and any other recommendations greatly appreciated! I saw some lovely necklaces on a website called Kamoka but some are a little out of my price range when I add on the VAT :(

The Pearl Source uses all stock images for their strands. Even the ones that say "the strand in the photo is the EXACT strand you will receive" are stock images. For something going overseas, I would definitely recommend getting real photos of what you choose before making a purchase because returns are not as easy.

I still don't understand this import tax business. I've already ordered from PP and I'm in London too; to be honest I've done a 'head buried in sand'....

I don't understand when (and how much but let's not go there) I'm supposed to pay this tax because it's supposed to be getting delivered to my door.

Moonpie,

I think it's what you just paid to get it through customs. At least that's the way it works in Denmark.

Usually I get a letter from the Royal Danish mail with information about how much I have to pay in VAT and duty. It's the amount I must pay at post office to pick up the package. The only time I've had something sent by courier I didn't pay anything extra at first but got a VAT/duty after I had received the package.

But I've only ever had to pay once pr. package.

- Karin

Okay. This applies for importing from anywhere outside any country which is a member state of the European Union. (once something is legally in the EU it can whizz around to its heart's content with no barriers and taxes)
This applies whether an item is shipped or you bring it in yourself, if it is worth more than ?35
As any item crosses the border into the EU - for illustrative purposes into the UK - it is taxed and may also have duty payable.
The tax is the normal sales type tax, VAT, currently 20%.
Plus there is duty (a different tax) payable on finished jewellery
plus if the item has been shipped the shipping company will charge the receiver for their work taking the item through customs, usually ?10-$12 but some charge up to ?15 - and there's VAT on that too!
Some shipping companies won't release the goods to you until you've paid up, others. if they know you and that you are reliable, will deliver first and then ask for the money..
When I arrive back from Hong Kong with many pearls I go red channel and pay up, because I am importing them into the EU
I suspect the Pearl Source pricing means that the price they quote includes relevant USA taxes. You know, like some companies still quote a price without the VAT to make it seem cheaper then only mention the VAT has to be added later on when you're all excited. Very irritating
PS KarinK has just reminded me that your card company will probably charge you as well for international transaction and you will have currency exchange fees on top of that. Or if you pay by Telegraphic Transfer direct to a bank account it can cost as much as ?25 plus whatever exchange rate the bank feels like charging you
Plus of course you don't get the rights a consumer has under EU law

Last edited:
Thanks Karin. I've never had to pick up a package from the post office before, they all get delivered to my door. Maybe I'll get a call saying I have to go and pick it up from my local post office; but will 'they' know my local post office address if they only have my home address??

I just hope it doesn't get 'stuck' somewhere.... but no not thinking about this anymore.

I'm back in dodo mode.

Thanks for that Wendy it's made it a bit clearer in my mind. At least I know my item will be with the courier company and not just 'lost' somewhere, and they are the people that ask for the tax (s).

Don't know about the UK, but here in Canada we sumit a host of forms, with proof of purchase, proof of return, and proof of the original duty paid, and in several weeks time you get issued a refund (just for the duty you paid), so long as the government agrees and you have dotted every i and crossed every t right. You do lose on the exchange rate with refunds (credit card companies charge a premium to buy US dollars and refund at a rate that is 5% less, regardless of how the dollar is faring) and shipping/insurance is pricey each way, so it's best to try to be sure before you buy. I'm just super grateful that people are willing to ship to us. I remember a time when it just wasn't something most businesses were willing to do.

The VAT rate in some EU countries is 25%.
Royal Mail delivers the item to the local main office (not the local high street sub office) where the parcel is held. You pay and collect from there . Parcel force sends you a second class letter asking for online payment. If you miss delivery you have to go to their depot which may be 20 miles away - ditto for the big companies. You should have a tracking number to find out where your parcel is and what's happening with it.
Each company has its own way of doing things and some are more efficient than others.
I find that DHL is the best coming into the UK, at least from China and Hong Kong. Fedex is officious and two days slower and always seems to find a reason to quibble about something clearance wise. UPS actually got their licence to clear customs revoked a few years ago because they were sloppy and let some bombs in. I think they have it back now but they always took days longer anyway.
Basic post (if using international insured signed for) is probably best for mid value small weight parcels as their basic rate is a fraction of the 'names.

Last edited:
For me personally, importing from abroad is worth every penny even after adding shipping handling fees and import duties.

I recently opened an account with FedEx for ease of handling the invoices, as I buy and import Hawaiian shirts from Jamsworld regularly, and FedEx usually sends the invoice to the delivery address that is normally my work address.

I helped a colleague spec'ed/sourced an e-ring recently by pointing him to the likes of White Flash and James Allen etc., after he showed me the monstrosity that is way overpriced from one of the high street jeweller in the UK, and managed to find a diamond that is better in all 4 Cs, with a platinum setting, and still with money to spare after added the shipping charges and import duties!

I went jewellery shopping for a present for myself recently, and walked away empty handed as I could not find anything that suited me (an 8in white gold bracelet) and within my budget. I have found and shall get one via eBay and import from US instead.

Here is an example of stupid prices for jewellery in the UK. OK, the retailer is the premier jeweller in City of Bath, however, 590 GBP for an Akoya pendant with a small diamond? I guess I should be grateful that it comes with a fine curb chain!

http://www.mallory-jewellers.com/jewellery-items/18ct-yellow-gold-pearl-and-diamond-pendant-with-chain/

This is a similar one from PP, for an AAA pearl, plus a 18in chain, considering the favourable exchange rate at present, to me, it makes sense to import from abroad as I would save a lot of money!

http://www.pearlparadise.com/p-551-romantic-collection-white-akoya-pearl-amp-diamond-pendant.aspx

For something unusual, I agree that one may have to go down the custom route, and I would advise attending craft and gem shows in the UK to get some idea of the style and designs that may suit first before contacting suitable vendors.

Good luck!

Tell me about it cmd...the US stores only started shipping to Australia a couple of years ago.

I found out from my local Post Office recently that one cannot post "jewellery" to Australia for some bizarre reason(s)!

But you aren't comparing like -for-like DK. I'm sure the price difference applies between online and high street anywhere in the world. You would need to compare Non-EU website with EU website for price/quality for the argument to be valid.
Some non-eu websites do give a price comparison between on-line and retail prices so you would need to compare those with your high-end Bath shop.

Last edited:
Back