Help a man: Does the type matter for a gift?

linthorn

Being a man, the particulars ellude me. I want to buy a necklace for my wife (44) but I don't know whether to buy really nice FWP ($300), nice akoya SWP ($900), or Rolex style Mikimoto ($2000+). If I buy a cheaper (but very pretty) Freshadama set, will all the girls in the office think I don't love her? Does anyone even ask if they are fresh or salt?

I can't ask, because I want to get them for Christmas.

Well, I'm not a woman, but I have seen the freshadama in person side-by-side with hanadama akoya (which are the very best of the akoya). They are truly world-class pearls. In one of the other threads started by a guy buying a gift for his girlfriend, he said that he had them appraised and the appraisal value was about $4000, I think.

If you absolutely insist on spending lots of money (which you most certainly will if you shop at Mikimoto), get a strand of the largest available freshadama. Or consider getting a multi-strand of the smaller size. Either of those should provide the necessary "wow" factor.

linthorn said:
If I buy a cheaper (but very pretty) Freshadama set, will all the girls in the office think I don't love her?

Well, the pearls will speak for themselves anyway - it really feels better to get compliments without having to explain how expensive an otherwise undistinguished object is. 'Brand name' stuff might really need some explaining when pearl are involved - the hyped ones are not always as nice as the label would have you believe and the lack of independent grading makes things worse than for diamonds, say. Better get fine looking pearls than branded any day - and it can't hurt if they are either large, long or by other factor the strand is impressive (second what other said about multiple strands of smaller 'Freshadama' pearls, or a longer one...). I might be mistaking here, but I think that you can have a freshadama strand composed on order (if longer ones, graduated or multiple strands of some specification you want are not on the list already). Matching earrings might fit in too.

My 2c :)

(btw. the really nice freshwater might be more than $300... quite a bit).

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi
I strongly recommend the freshadama line. Right now they are a fabulous buy and good investment. This will not last! The largish 9-10mm freshadamas are over $1,000 a strand from PP: Here is the exact page. http://www.pearlparadise.com/Freshadama-Pearls-9-10mm.htm
I have this page saved as a favorite because I want one of these SO bad!

These will appraise for far more and they are similar to natural pearls, which can not be had for under 10-15k for dinky ones.

When I say "similar", the only difference is that they were purposefully cultivated and tended and not wild grown. There are few new wild grown pearls, available, maybe none. Chinese freshwater pearls are solid pearl, just like the natural, wild-grown ones from over a century ago

The wild grown natural pearl business went belly up from overfishing in the rivers of North America and Scotland in the late 19th century and have not come back. The mussels themselves are endangerd by pollution and dams.

The entire 20th century was devoted to learning how to cultivate pearls and to producing pearl coated beads and developing that market to the everyday woman, because they made pearls affordable to the middle class for the first time in history!.

Then, in the 70's the Chinese started growing freshwaters without mother of pearl beads inside. They have recently perfected the art and science of growing these gems, as can be seen by the AAA and Frashadamas. They have not yet managed to market them as successfully as the akoya market does, but it will come and then they will cost far more.

Last edited:
I too am yearning for the mega-size Freshadamas, and also those dangle earrings(no diamonds) to match. Your wife will be impressed with the gorgeous pearls, and with information that you can share with her, she will understand you have gone to some length to get her a most special gift. I do think it is good to have the earrings to match, even if she wears something like diamond studs most of the time.
Pattye

Size?

Size?

So it would seem that bigger is better. Which is more important to women, diameter or length (remember, we're talking pearls here!)? She's fairly petite, maybe 5'6" 120lbs.

Hi Linthorn
I am a tad under 5'6" and about 10 pounds heavier. The 9+ is not too large. I like both long and short, but the shorter length rests on my neck, not my clothes and I like pearls next to my skin. That size in a freshadama will be fairly expensive. A long one might be around 2k, but you'd have to ask. PPwill cutom make it to any length you want.

Back