Hawaii Pearls

Ling

Hi all
Just wondering if anyone on this forum has had dealings with the Maui Divers Jewelry in Hawaii?
I am considering purchase from their web site.
Are they reasonably price /quality ,and trustworthy?
Any feedback would be appreciated!

Ling

I haven't dealt with them directly, but have cruised their store many times. It's the same as any brick and mortar store, imho, you will pay more for what you get, and just because they deal in a lot of pearls, doesn't always mean they know a lot. A friend of mine received a strand for a gift from them (Tahitians) that I felt were not good (flat color, no luster). If you're going to buy I suggest you really know what you are looking at and what you want. They have nice things too and are very popular in Hawaii, but I think you can do better.

Maybe someone has shopped in person or online. I think they look legitimate with a lot of their own designs. At the lower end, the prices seem fine, but the high end stuff is outrageously priced. So it depends on what you want to buy.

Thanks Caitlin and Sheryl. I did have a look at their website and some of the designs I thought was quite unique.
My friend, who is holidaying in Honolulu told me there is a white south sea pendant with diamond that she thought I may like. Its a 11-12mm white ssp with little diamonds totally about 1 carat , set in 14K white gold, and its reduced from $3880 to $2220US. (Clearance stock). It sounds like a big reduction, but is it still a good price?
She is going to send me photos , so I'll try to post them here.

Such good advice. Isn't it nice to have a place to come and ask questions about pearl purchases? :) There is nothing wrong with the company, but it's true that things can be pricey. It's more worth the extra $$$ if you get to pick it out in person. We used to have a store in San Diego and I have friends who enjoyed the purchases they made in person.

Hi all
Just wondering if anyone on this forum has had dealings with the Maui Divers Jewelry in Hawaii?
I am considering purchase from their web site.
Are they reasonably price /quality ,and trustworthy?
Any feedback would be appreciated!

Ling

I have purchased from them 2 times. I ended up returning 1 of the pearls after I had left Hawaii and had no problems with their customer service. Their prices seem ok for the most part, but after being in their stores, I would never buy from them on-line (applies to Tahitian/South Sea Pearls only) I would only buy in person as there is such a variation in pearls, luster and overtones.

That sounds high to me. Maybe it is the diamonds. Does that include a chain, and do you need one? For that much money, I'd want to work with someone on the pendant to get just what I wanted.

I cruised many of their (ubiquitous) stores when I lived in Hawaii but never bought from them. They do have some interesting and more unusual designs but I think you can do better price-wise. They carry the costs of a lot of bricks-and-mortar stores in expensive commercial real estate as well as extensive traditional advertising and marketing.Why don't you check out some of the online vendors and designers represented on this forum, especially since you are considering an online purchase anyway.

Thanks for all your replies. Apparently, that particular pendant has been sold.

Shery, the price does not include the chain. I don't need a chain anyway.
KatKashmir, do you mind telling me why you had to return one of the pearls? I heard their customer service is very good. I do agree it is a lot saver to see the piece in person when purchasing pearls. May be I'll wait and see.

I also found this pendant on their website, which I thought is quite attractive.

It is quite pricey, even after a 10-15 Percent discount, which they normally would offer. What do you all think? opinions please!!

Diamonds aren't really that expensive, they are just perceived to be. (at least the smaller ones) I've learned that from my chum Steve Bennett (Gems TV - not sure what it is called in usa, but tv channel genuine gemstone company - very honest company)

It's pretty design, but I think it's also pricey and they don't mention the pearl grade as well.

I agree with Wendy, I'm working with jewelers and workshops that supply stores, so I know the actual price of diamond jewelries which then got huge markup by B&M stores.

haha was in one of there stores last week :) and one out of 100 pearls looked good to me most where no colors boring gray tahitians :) going with someone who specializes in pearls is always lots better then buying from people that are only there to sell and have no passion. i walked in to every jewelry store i came by and only had 3 out of ..... that actually told me something good about gems and pearls ( i love walking in to other jeweler places just listening to the weird as things they tell people i was amazed how much money is spend on jewelry in hawaii i was at a store where they just sold a opal for 500 000 think i should move all my opals to hawaii soon haha

a jewellery store in the sheraton was selling a dyed freshwater pendants as peacock tahitians what was quite funny because they had 1000 of them in the same size and all purple no overtone just purple haha

if you have a jewelry piece with small diamonds and there are lots of it lets say 100 x 0,01 so one carat total in small stones and they can sell this with pearl gold and material for 2000 it means it has been made in china otherwise setting the 100 stones would be more expensive then that already

most discounts at places like these arent true discounts they price things up to price things down i was looking at some 6000 usd necklaces there that where 3000 and was thinking funny i sell these for 2500 without discount ;)

there are some amazing jewellery stores in hawaii i was quite impressed by some of the work of http://kohalagoldsmiths.com/ on big island pieces are handmade and with hand selected stones and pearls what always is the most important so you have quality good that will hold a big part of the value

hawaii (specially hawaii) is very much for tourist minded people so also the prices will be set for tourist and will look like good deals so they buy them easy !

buying jewellery is not so hard if something is to good to be true its not true - where all here to make money - the people with passion are there to sell you something that will last forever !

Last edited:
I think that holiday jewelry shopping is so popular since people are already in a better mood due to the vacation. Also, the costs of the vacation, which frequently are quite expensive, make the jewelry seem relatively more reasonable. There is a bunch of behavioral economic research suggesting that people are willing to spend more if they are considering buying something expensive than if they are only looking at cheaper things. If you've already shelled our for the expensive vacation, a few thousand more doesn't seem as expensive as compared to your everyday expenses.

Anyways, when I was in Hawaii it was pre-pearl love but the jewelry stores did have some lovely and inventive designs.

Wow I really love some of the amazing designs of pendants found in Kohala Goldsmiths.com. Pity they don't display any prices. I'd imagine they are quite pricey.

Back