Has anyone purchased direct from Tahitian pearl farms?

PearlLVR

Community member
I'm interested in buying a lot (as in an advertised parcel) of keshi pearls but wasn't sure if this was a smart thing to do.

I like the irregular shapes and can drill them myself.

There is at least one Tahitian pearl farm that sells direct to the public, Kamoka. But I doubt you will find lots as you describe. That is how they are sold after they leave the farms. You need to go to the big professional pearl shows to get Tahitians in lots.

Actually Jeremy of Pearl Paradise sold some undrilled Tahitian keshi a few years ago. I got enough to make a choker. You might call there and ask. Or get hold of Josh from Kamoka who is a member here.

Hi
it depends. If you just want a few with no matching in colour, size and quality then purchasing from a single named farm is one viable alternative. But if you want matched and/or and sort of quantity then you will have to go to a wholesaler or retailer, both of whom have enough stocks to do the matching you then want.
It is the same situation as seeing pearl retailers who claim to buy 'direct from the farm' This is true once in a blue moon but generally one farm does not produce enough of one sort of pearl to produce something useful - hence they go to a pearl factory or wholesaler for processing, matching and drilling etc.( I remember seeing this claim from an on-line seller re freshwaters in China. She was posed with a hank of whites (so clearly no) in a lbd and spike heels.)

That was rich, wasn't it? Madison Avenue's version of Straight from the Farm, chichi plus.

Back