Golden south sea pearl?

Mavs84

Hello, I've been reading this forum for a few days now and I found the information very useful. I have been in China for the past few days and I bought this golden pearl which I've been told its a SS one.

I bought this from the Pearl City market in Nanjing road and I've read good reviews from clients who purchased from the store I bought this before. I believe that it's a real pearl as it passes the tooth test and the lady there offered to scrape it with the scissors and it passed that test too. The colour and the shades also seem real to me, but of course I'm by no means an expert.

I was wondering if you could please offer your opinion on this, whether it is a SS or a FW one that has been dyed. Its 13 mm and i paid around 215 USD for this (after a bit of bargaining which lasted about 30 mins or so). Sorry if the quality of pictures is not ideal.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

That's real GSS, congratulation on the purchase, a good deal for 13mm pearl! However, scraping it with scissors? My first time hearing about it.... doesn't sound reliable though.

offered to scrape it with scissors??? no thanks!

It does look like a genuine GSS, good buy.

Scissors???
Blimey
in some parts of the world they whip out a lighter and play it over the item to show it isn't plastic (I think) but scissors?/That's a new technique. Is that where we're going wrong?

Many thanks for the replies everyone, really appreciate it.

Regarding the scissors, I'll keep this in mind now for next time. :) I assume the rationale behind it is that if it's a real pearl then it wouldn't be damaged by doing this.

I have to say I'm really pleased to hear from you guys that this is a genuine GSS though, was on a trip to Shanghai and I bought this for my fianc?e along with two smaller black pearls from the same store (I'll try and post photos of those too), so I'm glad to hear that it's genuine. If I may ask, how do you identify whether a pearl is indeed natural or dyed? I understand that it is possible for vendors to sell dyed pearls while claiming that it is the natural colour so I would like to be able to identify when this is the case.

Also, in regard to this pearl, does it appear to be of decent quality? Having bought this from a market and without an actual certificate I'm not really sure what the quality is and what is the normal price for this kind of pearl.

Many thanks!

Scissors CAN damage pearls - erase that from your memory banks! Sometimes you can tell if the pearl has been dyed if it is drilled and there is excess dye at the drill hole. Generally, they are so good at treatment of gold south sea pearls, that treatment is hard to detect. It looks like a high quality pearl to me. :)

What would taking a sharp blade to a pearl prove? Apart from it can and will be ruined?
Generally pearl quality and price goes up the rounder, the smoother and the shinier it is. (obviously the shape thing is slightly more flexible if you don't want a round pearl in the first place, but round pearls tend to be the dearest) With south sea pearls the whiter or the more golden is also a factor.
In freshwater pearls there are far fewer dyed pearls than a few years ago. Then you could get every dyed colour of the rainbow. now it is mostly white and natural colours. I'm hoping for some blacks (always dyed) in HK next month. There were hardly any decent ones last year, but a surfeit of white white white

Wendy,

Seems like someone mentioned this "test" awhile back, a HORRIBLE idea. If you scraped the pearl and the "nacre" peels off leaving a glass bead beneath that meant it is imitation. Supposedly a real pearl will just make a little dust that can be rubbed away without damaging the pearl. PLEASE DON'T TRY THIS WITH YOUR PEARLS.

Wendy,

Seems like someone mentioned this "test" awhile back, a HORRIBLE idea. If you scraped the pearl and the "nacre" peels off leaving a glass bead beneath that meant it is imitation. Supposedly a real pearl will just make a little dust that can be rubbed away without damaging the pearl. PLEASE DON'T TRY THIS WITH YOUR PEARLS.

Actual makes sense but not the smartest test I've heard of, I think I'll stick to my teeth and the old eyeballs.

Many thanks for the replies everyone, really appreciate it.

Regarding the scissors, I'll keep this in mind now for next time. :) I assume the rationale behind it is that if it's a real pearl then it wouldn't be damaged by doing this.

I have to say I'm really pleased to hear from you guys that this is a genuine GSS though, was on a trip to Shanghai and I bought this for my fianc?e along with two smaller black pearls from the same store (I'll try and post photos of those too), so I'm glad to hear that it's genuine. If I may ask, how do you identify whether a pearl is indeed natural or dyed? I understand that it is possible for vendors to sell dyed pearls while claiming that it is the natural colour so I would like to be able to identify when this is the case.

Also, in regard to this pearl, does it appear to be of decent quality? Having bought this from a market and without an actual certificate I'm not really sure what the quality is and what is the normal price for this kind of pearl.

Many thanks!

It needs experience to find out whether the pearls have been dyed or not, but dyed golden pearls tend to be striking in color and luster. Your GSS pearl pendant seems to be medium golden which is not how dyed golden pearls would look like. Sometimes the dye would collect on the spot, and the spot on your pearl has none of it.
The pearl appears to be good quality, nice luster and color, and only has 1 visible spot. Your fianc?e is lucky to have it :)

The black pearls you bought, were they identified as Tahitian pearls?

It’s quite common the sellers in China suggesting the scissors or smash test.
scissors.jpgsmash.jpg

Auch! Poor things! Though of course if a seller of supposedly SSP's or Tahitians will let you smash one of their pearls to prove there is a bead inside and it's not FW, I think that would be fine - as long I didn't have to pay for it.

- Karin

scissor test....sounds painful to the pearls....
steel carries the hardness of around 5 at Mohs scale, while pearls is around 2.5-4.5 So....I will definitely not going to risk any of the specimens on hand. It unravel the fakes, but hurting the real ones as well.....
Congrats!!! a 13 mm gold south sea at such a price is a very very good buy!!! If I didn't see it wrongly, it bail is made of 18K gold some more!!!! NICE!

The Gold SS pearl is indeed beautiful. The luster is lovely with the contrast of the light noted by the pearl. I would hate to tell you how much I paid for a SS pearl!

Back