Gemological Grading Group - Information please

J

JeanLuc

Hello

I am in Paris and I have decide to purchase the pearls in eBay with a certification which is saying the pearls are very valuable. The certification is from a USA lab and it says GGG.
Because when I receive the pearls I do not think they are so valuable I take them to a jewelry store and they told me the value is only about 30-40 Euro. This is not 50 US dollars. But it is less than I pay for with eBay!
When I send emails to the website for Gemological Grading Group no one respond.

Do you know about this company? Is this certification the valuable? I do not want to give these pearl to my wife if it is not true.

Thank you very much for your help. I appreciate.

Gemological Grading Group

I suggest you take a look at the thread titled : Tahitian Necklace Or Not?

This thread talks about the GGG as well.

I just received a forward about this thread and I think I can shed some light on the subject.

Unfortunately, JeanLuc, the GGG, or the Gemological Grading Group really does not exist. This was first exposed online in the diamondtalk.com forums.

From my understanding the GGG is (or was) owned or at least directed by the eBay seller 'DDD', which stands for 'Diamond Depot Direct'. The owner of this company is Mr. Costa Tsambasis, in Temecula, California.

This supposed 'GEM-LAB' is now owned by a company, which is actually located in the Jewelry District of Los Angeles, Logic Mate Inc.

The issue that I have is this company is NOT a gem-lab, and if you were to go into their offices you would have a hard time finding a single loupe or scale. This company sells software! One of the popular software programs they sell (ironically) has an appraisal-building template.

This is a just a guess on my part, but an owner or manager of this company is either related, or very close to Mr. Tsambasis. I find it hard to believe that a solid company like LogicMate would tarnish its name, image and reputation by creating grossly overvalued appraisals. But that is exactly what has happened. The appraisals (or gem cards) as they call them are not even worth the paper they are printed on. Every card says the product is AAA, and the values that I have seen are just about right - but only if you divide the value by about 1000 in the worst cases, to 100 in some of the lesser egregious cases.

I know that 'Diamond Depot Direct' has received warnings from the JVC as well as other watch organizations, and have recently stopped selling on eBay. But as the Internet is such an easy place in which to hide, they are back selling again on liquidation.com.

Federal Trade Commission Guides for the Jewelry, Precious Metals and Pewter Industries, § 23.1, clearly state that it is deceptive to misrepresent the value of a jewelry item. In addition, §43(a) of the Lanham Act prohibits any representations of facts or words that cause confusion or misrepresent the truth. These cards are clearly in violation of both of these, but then so is nearly every piece of jewelry sold on eBay today!

I am sorry I do not have better news for you, JeanLuc. Your only recourse is probably through the seller of the item you purchased. I know that the DDD had multiple sellers utilizing their fraudulent documentation, and I have seen their auctions in France and in Australia.

One key thing to remember for future purchases:
Make sure the 'certification' provided is signed by qualified appraiser. I know that none of the GGG cards produced are signed, and after seeing the number of feedback the seller has (and hence the number of customers) I think they would have been charged with a crime by now if they ever signed those appraisals.

Last edited:
This is what I have also been very afraid of to hear. But I know that you are correct. If I divide my GGG certification by 1000 the value is now $49 in US dollars. This is what I am thinking is the true value of the pearl.

I wish I know more about before. Now I do know for the future.

Thank you everyone for all your help. Tomorrow I will go to buy a real piece of jewelry for my gift.

This is the same company that I wrote about in my 'Rules on Ebay' post:

Back