G.I.A Certified

M

moana

Hello all,
please can anyone tell me how G.I.A certify's pearls from a pearl farm ,and how much they charge for doing this service.
thanks all

Are you referring to the new GIA pearl certification? This has just launched. Its goal is to mimic the diamond grading reports. But because of cost I think only high-priced retail goods will be certed.
A farm would have no reason to obtain this certification unless they sold direct to the consumer as well (like Paspaley).

not sure about which g.i.a certificate,only that a friend has asked me to find out how much it would be to certify his pearls from a farm and the cost .
thanks

The GIA just announced its new pearl grading report and Paspaley backed it in Basel and in Jewelry News Asia. I checked the GIA Site, however, and do not see a link to the test yet. You can probably contact someone there in the lab anyway to find out.

http://www.gia.edu/

GIA vs IGI

GIA vs IGI

Not to change the subject too much, but is there a difference in being a graduate in pearl grading from GIA or IGI as far as credibility, quality of education, etc?

If you are solely referring to the pearl grading course, I would assume IGI would be better. The GIA course is a single day, but the IGI course is a full three. I do not believe the IGI has a Pearls course, though.

Back