Frshwater drop

Valeria101

What you see is what I see:

Art%20Nouveau%20Freshwater%20Pearl%20Diamond%2014k%20Snake%20Pendant_small.jpg

And for the complete listing, quote and large pictures, CLICH HERE and scroll. There are a couple of others Mississippi pearls in vintage pieces, but this one is by far the more striking.

What do you think? How does one tell natural Mississippi pearls from cultured, anyway?

Last edited:
What do you think? How does one tell natural Mississippi pearls from cultured, anyway?

I would absolutely bet this one is natural. It would be very tempting if it weren't a snake!

I don't know the technical way to separate natural Mississippi from later cultured freshwater pearls. But in this case, other factors make it easy.

The pearl appears to be not only original, but the piece was made for it. The cut of the diamond in the snake's head dates to around 1895-1900. The motif, design and quality of the handwork are consistent with this period, as is the lack of a gold mark.

Taken together, we have a really tight date of 1895-1905. The pearl looks like an excellent example of the type of Mississippi pearls in trade at that time, brokered to New York, New Jersey, Providence, and Attleboros jewelry manufacturers.

It's a beautiful piece of jewelry, so if you don't mind snakes, I hope you get it!

The pearl appears to be not only original, but the piece was made for it. The cut of the diamond in the snake's head dates to around 1895-1900. The motif, design and quality of the handwork are consistent with this period, as is the lack of a gold mark.

Alison,

OK. so far so good. However, there are very similar items on the same site: #670, #671, #812. The gold work is different, but the theme is similar. Should I wonder if the piece (860) is an original? What do you think?

Alison,

OK. so far so good. However, there are very similar items on the same site: #670, #671, #812. The gold work is different, but the theme is similar. Should I wonder if the piece (860) is an original? What do you think?

I looked at the ones you mentioned and they all appear to be original. The snake was a very popular motif in Victorian jewelry, and there are endless variations on it. (Not as many, say, as on the starburst/sunburst theme used for pendants and brooches -- if I had a dollar for every time I saw one of those... you know how the saying goes.)

Personally I like #860 the best (from the original post) as it's a pendant rather than a stickpin, so more wearable these days. Also I think that's a great pearl in the piece -- maybe someone can weigh in on valuing these higher-end Mississippi pearls?

Valeria, that is an intriquing piece. Lots of other lovely antique pieces on that website, as well. I curse you!!!!! ;)

Let us know if you end up getting the snake. I found something else on the site to tempt me on this cold rainy day...

Sheri

Valeria, wanted to let you know that the non-pearl item I purchased from this site (if anyone is curious, it was the lovely antique fairy mirror locket) arrived today - beautiful piece, very nice seller, very fast shipping, great communication. I'd happily deal with her again. From my experience and perusal of her pieces, I'd say that what she lists is the real deal...

Sheri

I have the same good feeling about the collection :) This one might as well untie my purse for once... There are more practical 'treats' in competition though and jewelry isn't high on the stack...

Valeria, I hope you purchase the snake... I think it is gorgeous... great use of an unusual pearl, and as Sheri says, an intriguing piece... definitely worthy of a place in your collection. And who needs practical things anyway??

Back