from what specie did these came from?

I have been following this thread because I was so impressed by those pearls, so round for 8 years ago- and you know how I love dyed CFWP and these are special. I know just how perlas feels about them. I do too.

I have a friend in Tucson who moved here from Philly. An avid garage sale person, she picked up a red, black, and white striped wool blanket here in a Tucson yard sale. Very simple, straight across horizontal stripes- but it appealed to her, for $25.

When she had it looked at, it was an 1880's Navajo Chief's blanket made with red bayenta wool. It appraised for $25,000 and that was 1977. It's worth a 1/2 million now if the one on Antiques Roadshow is any guide. I was about beside myself with envy. I would have known instantly what it was, if I had seen it!

And remember, the piece with the huge purple quahog pearls was found in a second hand store all dirty and looking like costume jewelry. After a big hype, it is supposed to sell for 1/4 million. I don't think it sold yet or we might have heard the price, I have a Google alert for it.

I had a real visceral reaction to these pearls. Whatever they ar, perlas got an incredible deal and it looks like they will last through about any rough handling, They already have!

it would be easier for me to believe if these were dyed freshwater pearls (before i smashed it), or even teeny-weeny south seas which are so abundant in palawan... the peddler looks local to the town and looks like he hasn't done any international travels.

ofcourse it wouldn't hurt if they turn out to be something amazing.:D

i'm not sure if there are private marine research programs in palawan though....although the place is suitable.

so experts...Jeremy and Zeide, what are your final, honest conclusions?

if you get around this area you can have a good look at it. :D

I admittedly do not know as much about non-commercial pearls as I wish I did. You just do not see them on the commercial market - I have seen more, been sent more, pictures from this board than I have seen in the last 10 years. But I am absolutely sure I could tell if the pearls were here to view in person. I would love to see them, and if you ever travel through LA with them let me know. Me encantaria...

I am still going to go with my gut and the odds. I say they are dyed freshwater, unless there is another story or history that shows otherwise...

Last edited:
thanks caitlin!

you know what? i'm just a recent pearl enthusiast when i stumbled in this forum. before pearls, my first passion was and still are, gemstones in general. maybe as much passion as you have with fresh water pearls.

i was not so much of a pearl fanatic because it's so everywhere in our country.

but when i set eyes on those little black pearls, i knew they were *special*.

anyway, you have a long way to go caitlin, since CFWP are just getting better and better. 8 years ago, i wouldn't think that jeremy's freshadamas are possible!

Aren't the Philippine Hammer naturals actually blue, though? I saw a lot more brown in the pictures. I guess I am just a skeptic...It just seems too difficult to believe. Maybe a few mixed in with the strand, but actual finished pieces...just too farfetched for me...

It is important to be skeptical until all possibilites are ruled out, except one.
Whatever it turns out to be, it was a remarkable acheivement of roundness. why would they dye such round pearls? I would have thought they would be too nice to dye.

Round pearls are often dyed. It is not just the shape, remember. I have hanks of black freshwater (dyed of course) that are more round than many whites. Harvest color, surface quality, and the market whim are always considerations.

Zeide Erskine said:
Hi Jeremy,

They are blue. That's why I would rather suspect sinanodonta woodiana. The placuna sella are mostly ruled out on lack of orient and kamtchatkana for area of origin although 8 years ago many Russian marine biologist were heading for the Philippines like American marine biologists would all move to Bora Bora if they could. So, a Russian marine biologist packing some natural pearl stock for reason of better marketability than rubles heading for the Philippines is quite possible as an explanation for kamtchatkanas popping up in the Philippines. I knew of one who sold his poached kamtchatkanas via a Canadian trader in Hawaii. At least whenever he wasn't in jail for poaching.

Zeide

If, only if...still...too much chance for me. I just does not seem plausible. How could someone come across something like that, from someone not in "the know", sell them while "not in the know", to someone else "not in the know"? I would love to hear a story like that, but in my position, and I am sure in yours, it would take true convincing.

Hi Perlas
I am interested in an update on this. Did you ever send the smashed one to Zeide?

You really have a scientific spirit. I love your questions on and interest in, the insides of pearls. This one and your more recent candling experiments have produced some great posts!

Hi Caitlin,

No, I did not send the smashed pearl to Zeide but had some great e-mail exchanges with Zeide about it. I hesitated whether it's worth Zeide's time to check on my measly pearls.:eek:

Definition of great e-mail exchanges:
1) I ask, Zeide answers.
2) I ask some more, Zeide answers some more.
3) Wonderful pictures of Zeide's pearls.
4) More wonderful pictures of Zeide's pearls.

Up to know, after looking at several pearls more, I have not found a single strand that looks like it (although there are a lot of fantastic dyed pearls that you'd probably like a lot).

I have made a necklace out of it but plan to re-string and re-design it soon. So if you have design inputs on 3.5mm round, bronze pearls, you're more than welcome. :D

Anyway, just to let you know, the latest thing this scientific spirit did was buy a box of "love pearls".

Definition of "Love Pearls":
1) A Mussel preserved in water and 25% alcohol stored in easy-open cans that says, "Do not eat the shell's meat." and "Do not forget to make a wish before opening the shell!"
2) At least one pearl is found inside the mussel's mantle. It can be lavander, white, peach, cream, or golden.
3) Made in China.
4) Bonus necklace and "cage pendant" comes along with the pearl.

I "harvested" a single white, lustruous potato pearl with no orient. At least now I have seen a hyriopsis cumingii and had pried and poked through it's anatomy.

Oh, and the smell stinks by the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Sam,

The "wish pearls" typically are hyriopsis cumingii pearls that have been put into an otherwise rejected akoya scallop. The pearls did not grow in the scallop you found them in. It is a neat gimmick but don't be fooled by it. If the 6mm pearl were still in the mussel it originally grew in, that mussel would be far larger than the one in the can and probably would have had quite a few more pearls in it that would be of rather varying shape and quality. Neat toy, though.

Zeide

Zeide,

The mussel's size is around 2-2.5 inches. The shell is not thick since I broke it in the middle while trying to open it using a plastic tool that comes along with it. I have to dissect to mussel to get the pearl. The pearl is about 6mm.

I checked for pinctada fucata and hyriopsis cumingii pictures but the shell looked different in the pictures.

Hi Sam,

The manufacturers may take whatever otherwise unusable shell they come about but the main point is that you are certainly not going to get the one the pearl originally grew in. Hyriopsis cumingii is a rather big shell and has plenty of other lucrative commercial uses after it has been exhausted for pearl culturing. On the other hand, the hatcheries always find many juveniles that for some reason or another are unsuitable for pearl culturing. Thus the wish or love pearl was born. It is ingenious, I admit, but if you thought you get to study the anatomy of hyriopsis cumingii through that you may or may not have had a go at it.

By the way, have you received your Strack book yet? If so, you can compare the anatomy of your love pearl "oyster" with the anatomical sketches provided in the book. I would also love to hear what you think of it.

Zeide

Zeide,

I've checked locally and it's not available. Nice gem books are hard to come by here so I don't have the Strack book yet. I'll check online if I'll be able to get it.

So far I've checked on the GIA's Pearls course book (not mine) which shows the comparison of a freshwater mussel and saltwater oyster's anatomy. I definitely got a freshwater mussel but only assumed it was a hyriopsis cumingii since this is the specie commonly used though I'm not 100% certain because the mussel is most probably juvenile and therefore, very hard to compare with pictures.

Hi Sam,

Believe it or not, the Strack book is finally available online http://www.cigem.ca/640.html albeit in Canada. I love Canadians, they have their priorities straight. Even the fundamental value of the Canadian dollar is based on the piece of eight. I like that pirate spirit.

Zeide

Last edited by a moderator:
well its nice to see that book online, I would suggest anyone interested call their order in as that order form is not secure and could easily be hacked.

Back