freshwater mollusk species for small hobby farm

Mostawesomecoffee

Community member
What would be a good freshwater species for a non-experienced farmer to consider using? I'm looking for something that, above all, is capable of producing a pearl with great nacre quality and beauty. Other considerations are hardiness, ease of care, and availability. I'm looking to do this on a very small-scale basis.

Where could I buy spat of whichever species is suggested? Would I be able to have this spat sent to the U.S.? Since I wouldn't be running a full-scale farm, I'd like to get started with growing mabe pearls soon after obtaining the mollusks. Is it possible to buy mollusks of this species when they are a little older, so that I wouldn't have to wait a year or more to get started? thanks.

Last edited:
You will have to pay attention to habitat before you think about mollusc. What habitat do you have? The habitat will surely chose the mollusc.
It is likely that you won't be able to import. While I don't know about specific US law most countries don't allow import of foreign species where there is any chance they could escape and cause problems to the natural flora and fauna
(Example - the north east of England has at least one flourishing wild colony of wallabies and budgies are also doing very well in parts of London. They aren't having much impact but escaped mink and himalayan balsam are real problems)

Back