Freshadamas on the loose

Z

Zeide Erskine

Hi All,
I just received a strand of Pearl Paradise's Freshadamas and the akoya industry is in for serious trouble. The strand I received is just a hint short of perfect sakura (cherry-blossom white) in bright daylight and in diffused light shows DISTINCT ORIENT. In cultured pearls, that's BIG news. In terms of sheer inherent quality they beat hanadamas hands down anytime, anyday, anyhow. Most pearls in the strand are near-perfect round (5% or less deviation from round) and in the center there are 5 eight-way rollers. The matching is exquisite and the overtones harmonious (rainbow shading). They are truely red-carpet-grade jewels and should be graded like naturals. So here I go:

Luster:
Orient: Medium to strong
Mirror: Very high
Water: Very deep

Size: ZZZ or Dana+ (16-18 grain or 4-4.5ct, 8-8.55mm)
Surface: Very very lightly blemished to very lightly blemished
Roundness: 5% or less deviation from round all deviation in lesser hole-to-hole measurement range no drop deviation 5 center pearls are 8-way rollers
Matching: Body color exact, overtones in rainbow shading (most desirable)
Color: Abiyad (translucent white, no yellowness, rosé color spill)

That is about as good as it gets. If they were naturals, we'd be talking about US$350,000.00 conservative retail. Fortunately they are not.

Zeide

Last edited by a moderator:
Goodies

Goodies

Hi Pearltime,

Nope, I got an advance strand to gauge the quality. It is so outstanding that I recommend showing these only by appointment. They're good enough to charge admission just for the privilege of seeing them.

Zeide

Wow! How does it compare with the photo in this thread? Would someone email/pm me with a ball park price for this perfection if you don't want to post it?

Freshadama pricing

Freshadama pricing

Hi Caitlin,

I got the strand from the photo posted under the poll.

These are definitely the ones to have, especially if you intend to own heirloom pearls. As far as pricing goes, I leave that to Jeremy, they are his pearls. Fair market value would be 1.5-2x hanadama because they are solid nacre not enhanced beyond polishing and have orient. Considering the 0.4mm of the radius nacre thickness of hanadama and the general acceptance of treatments, I'd say the freshadamas make a whole lot more sense. They are also far rarer. If you want to compare rarity, hanadamas are as rare as an internally flawless 1ct G/H round diamond and these babies are as rare as an internally flawless 2ct natural fancy pink, heart cut diamond.

Zeide

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't argue that they aren't better in almost all factors then Hanadama's but freshwater pearls still do carry a bit of a stigma from the days of potato shaped junk strands.

But like any new innovation you have 5 groups of people:
1. innovators
2. Early Adopters
3. Early Majority
4. Late Majority
5. Laggards

Of course the bulk of acceptance comes in the early and late majority - The big question is how long will it take to reach this group.

The so-called "stigma" of freshwater pearls is exactly why highest quality freshwater pearls are an "investment" dream. Not to mention that with solid nacre, they can actually stand up to being worn for generations.

But the quality of the freshwater strand pictured compared to the Hanadama speaks for itself.

I am repeating JShepherd's photo over here. Now even if you can't tell which is which, which one would REALLY be the good investment, the one with solid nacre or the "pearl-plated" one?

Attachments

• freshwater%20and%20akoya.JPG
    freshwater%20and%20akoya.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
I am glad to hear that the new freshwaters are being well-received! For those of you who wanted to know, the poll results showed most choosing the top strand as the freshwater and the bottom as the certified Hanadama strand. Results of the poll as of today are as follows:

The top strand.
Received 11 votes, or 64.71%.
The bottom strand received 6 votes, or 35.29%.
Total Voters: 17

But.......The bottom strand is actually the freshwater and the top the Hanadama! The photo was completely raw as well, shot on my desk with diffused natural light. We are going to be doing some work in the studio today and tomorrow shooting the 'freshadama' (I like that name, Zeide!), and I will post a few more when they are ready.

I knew it! I was convinced by the "warmth" of the lower strand.

I just wanted to say this this photo has changed my entire orientation to pearls.

Freshwaters are my preferred pearl and have been since I realized they were the only cultured pearls with solid nacre- which is much more like the wild pearls of old.

But I accepted the snobbery and stigma and opinions of the salt water pearl people. No Longer!

Cultivating a few strands like this will become a priority for educated farmers. And since it was Jeremy's "eye" that sorted this quality from his own best pearls, I can see that sorting can be ever more refined when "eye" is allowed to develop.

Thanks to Zeide for demanding the quality and recognizing it. Thanks to Jeremey for recognizing the quality and being able to put together such a strand.

I really think freshwater pearl history was made by this transaction because this forum puts pearl information out there into the noosphere and the word is out: The best freshwater pearls exceed the best akoyas in every quality that defines a Hanadama strand! A the proof was in the pictured strand. ole!

I am bias for the culture Akoya (of course), but I must say that it is really an amazing quality freshwater pearl necklace. How is the reflect? It looks a bit diminished in the light. How does it look in real?

I need to study parls more that is for sure!!!!!! the FWP....I learn so much from everyone here! thank you for all teachign me new stuff!!!!!!I love it! This site and its information are amazing!

Ash....

Here's a freshadama for you!

Here's a freshadama for you!

http://www.amnh.org/exhibitions/pearls/fresh/index.html

Necklace of Mary, Queen of Scots
Natural freshwater pearls, gold
Scotland, 1550–1587
This necklace includes 34 natural pearls from the River Tay, in Scotland. While imprisoned by Queen Elizabeth I, Mary, Queen of Scots, presented it to the Duke of Norfolk, who would have become her fourth husband if the marriage had taken place.
By kind permission of His Grace The Duke of Norfolk KG

Attachments

• im_intro_maryqueen.gif
    im_intro_maryqueen.gif
    6 KB · Views: 42
Oh Zeide... It sounds like it would be really breathtaking! How lucky!

Caitlyn,

Thank you for the information, I accidentally deleted the file with the information in it thanks to you I have more than I did before... I did not have the river name... Thank you!

Back