First time knotting

Sokie -- your knots look soooo professional and those pearls are so pretty! Thanks for sharing the pictures! :)

Beautiful stringing Sokie....I am having so much trouble, I am a baby stringer. I just can't get the first three pearls right, and the overhand knot. Any suggestions?

I am doing well knotting without a tool between the pearls but the first three, well the second and third don't hold. I have looked at the instructions but it's not clicking with me yet. Tips anyone!!

When you say the knots don't hold..do you mean they slip? It might be that you're not keeping enough tension between the pearls - pushing the pearl right up to the next one firmly as you are tying the knot. This, for me, is where the awl comes in handy as it can push the knot and the pearl quite firmly. I'd watch a bunch of the videos ... Wendy at Pearlessence has a good knotting one .. Lloyd has one ( I think he uses double sided tape to keep the pearls where they should be ...there are quite a few and it's good to watch them all. Everyone does it a bit differently but I think that's interesting to watch. I hadn't knotted in awhile and had to reknot a necklace a few days ago as it wasn't tight enough. It's easy to forget how hard to pull the knot when it's just a once in awhile thing. :)

Frost Me,

Because you are back-knotting, there are actually 4 threads for those first few pearls. Which threads are you pulling apart, to seat the knot and tighten it?

I pull apart the 2 threads that are attached to the needle. They tighten around the original 2 threads that you strung the pearls on before adding the clasp.

Lloyd's stringing video at 6-36 .jpg

I mention this because I noticed on Lloyd's video (watch from 6:27 to 6:45 and from 7:30 to 7:40) he does it differently.

He holds the 2 original threads (on which the first 3 pearls were strung at the start) in his left hand and the 2 threads coming from the needle in his right hand, and pulls those apart. That action moves the knot down toward the first pearl. I grabbed a screen shot at 6:36 so you could see this.

I do it a bit differently. After forming the loose knot between the first 2 pearls, I guide it down toward the first pearl with an awl (but you could also slide the knot down just by pulling the needle threads apart.) I then take the two threads that are in his right hand, which are attached to the needle, and pull those apart so they tighten around the two original threads that are in his left hand-- as in my photo above. That makes a nice tight knot for me.

I'm not saying his way is wrong and mine is right, just that my way works better for me. I suppose you could use a combination of the two ways-- slide the knot into place as Lloyd does, and then add the step of pulling the two needle threads apart as I show in the photo.

If your knots still don't hold well for you, then you might want to add a dab of glue. Serafil and Beader's Secret are slippery and I can see where knots might come undone more easily than they would if made with Power Pro or silk.

Last edited:
Thank you so much lilliefuzzysocks, Frost Me and Katbran, I do love my pearls and the knotting was so much fun!!:eek:

Frost Me

I understand what you mean, the end part was most difficult for me. I also looked at some various videos and I found these to be helpful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5P8EnjRQl0
I do not know how many times I've watched these videos and I always had my cheap practicing pearls in my hand and did as they showed, I paused, play and play back all the time, until it felt I could do it.
I do not know any other way to help you, it would take forever to explain it in English for me, since I find it difficult to write in English.
But please do not give up, I know you can do it, give it a little time and practice and you'll see. I send my knotting strength to you from Sweden.:D

Pearl Dreams

You explanation in such a fantastic and educational way so that even I can understand.
You are my knotting heroine!!:eek:

Thanks all of you, Katbran, Pearl Dreams and Sokie. I must not be pulling hard enough. I actually watched Lloyds video last night, and I will try stringing with his video too. I noticed he has the double thread secured through the needle and a knot at the end. I was double looping the thread through the needle loose. Pearl Dreams your video is very good, I am just slow till I figure out my way I guess. Thanks for all the comments and help, I will try again! Sokie you are so sweet and encouraging! Thank you!

Pearl Dreams' method is the one I use to do those first/last knots. One thing, and I'm not sure this is easy to explain: I tie the knot around the first string through the pearls. That is the string on the first pass through the pearls. If you don't do this, those two strings will show and possibly slip out from the pearl. One other tip...if you are using Beader's Secret (which I do and LOVE), you can use a thread zapper to seal the first few knots. Practice if you go that route because a zapper can darken the knot on lighter colors. A light touch is really all you need.

I knot off the two strands before stinging on the first 3 pearls, but cut off that knot later.

As to the Bead Zap, I find that the wire accumulates residue, and that dark residue is what discolors light threads. You can remove the residue carefully from the wire. I've used a finger nail but next time I'm going to try using very fine steel wool.

I knot off the two strands before stinging on the first 3 pearls, but cut off that knot later.

As to the Bead Zap, I find that the wire accumulates residue, and that dark residue is what discolors light threads. You can remove the residue carefully from the wire. I've used a finger nail but next time I'm going to try using very fine steel wool.

Yes, that happens to me as well. I usually keep a moist cotton ball around to clean the tip after it's used. But I bet the fine nail file or steel wool would be good too.

Congratulations on the knotting!
What wonderful pearls, suit you so well.

I do this as well ...I use a fine tiny file to clean off the tip.

Back