first SSP earrings coming!

missmints

I just purchased a pair of 10mm SSP earrings from PP and I am so excited about it! They will be my first South Sea pearl purchase and my largest pearls. My smallish mikimotos never leave my ears and I am planning on these becoming my new everyday. I'm wondering, can any PGers give me advice on how to care for SS vs akoyas? Are they as fragile?

Oh, Wow, Congratulations! SS pearls have very thick nacre compared to akoya. The same guides regarding care apply, especially avoiding chemicals and hairspray, and no showering in them, please. I imagine care instructions will come with. Very happy for you!!

Oh I am so excited for you! Please tell us more about them (I am assuming you are talking about white south sea studs?) I have a few wSS pearl pieces from PP and they are my all-time favorites and my "go-to" pearls. I wear my large studs all of the time, both for dress and casual. I put them on last (after clothing, make-up, hair, etc.) and take them off first and always wipe them with the soft cloth that will come with your purchase after taking them off. Enjoy (I know you will)!

Yes, they will be white SS pearls. They should be arriving on Thurs. I plan to post pics. LitGeek, what size SS earrings do you own if you don't mind me asking? I've struggled with my own decision because, although I have always pined for SS, I am not sure I can carry a 10mm size. At the same time, I want lovely SS's and I know the 9-10mm are on the smaller spectrum size wise. I wish I could say more, but again, these will be the first. Exciting, no?

Mine are 11.8mm and I absolutely love the size! My advice when you get them is to wear them a few times before you decide if the size is right for you. When I first received mine I thought they might be too large, but after wearing them a couple of times they felt just right. Lol, when I got my first pair of 8.6mm studs (natural white Hanadamas from PP) I thought they were HUGE, but now they seem tiny. For reference here is a pic of Angelina Jolie wearing her PP 10-11mm wSS.
AJ 11mm studs.jpg

10mm makes a statement without being over the top. LitGeek has some great advice there - wear them more than once before you decide. I get more compliments when I wear larger pearls. The smaller ones are "expected". :)

I think your earrings will look amazing! We-Who-Wear-Large-Earrings also have solutions to help them sit properly on the ear if they tend to fall forward. I don't know if PP is sending out special earring backs or discs with the larger studs.

Great point Pattye :) Mine do fall forward, but a pearly friend was kind enough to send me a few of the clear plastic discs to try and they work perfectly, are very comfortable, and make the earring sit beautifully on the ear. And they are very inexpensive!

^^Where does one find these discs? I have some larger tahitians that do fall too much, and would like to try this! (I would also LOVE some wSS like Angelina's...sigh...but she looks good in everything :) )

Thank you! I'm so getting some of those discs! I actually tried betting the backs that GG suggested, and they don't work well on some of my earrings with very small/thin posts (they've fallen off, and I acutally lost one of my Tahitian earrings on the floor of my daughter's school! Luckily I discovered it when I went out to the car, and was able to go back in and look for/find it!)

Back