Environmentally (and socially) responsible pearl farming?

I suddenly imagined myself as playing a "Roy"-like character (played by Rutger Hauer) in Riddley Scott's "Blade Runner" (1982) -BTW: Love this movie!- in his final speech/monologue (Tears in Rain soliloquy):

"I've... seen things you people wouldn't believe... [laughs] Thousands of Triggerfishes swimming off the shoulder of my farm. I watched a Fin whale giving birth just next to my culture cages. Hundreds of Sea-Hares mating underneath my cultured pearl oysters, as well as thousands of migratory long-spiked sea urchins dancing to a soundless tune. All those... moments... will be lost in time, like [coughs] tears... in... rain. Time... to die..."

Hope I wasn't too somber...I hope I -and all of you dear friends!- still have many long years to live so we can do more...and more...and more!!! Pearl On!!!

Douglas, you are such a romantic. People like you make our lives more bearable. :)

Talking about Sustainable Pearl, allow me to do a little bit of advertisement here to see if you guys are interested.

SUSTAINABLE PEARL FORUM
Date: June 21, 2014
Time: 10:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Event: Hong Kong Jewelry Fair June 2013 organized by UBM Asia
Host: Laurent Cartier

Free registration

Going to talk about the Sustainable Pearl!

Unfortunately, I can't get there, but it sounds very interesting. :)

Back