Dove Grey Pearls?

Tami

Hi,
I wonder if you could help me with these grey pearls, they are strung without catches or knots (that I can see) in 3 strands in well graduated lengths obviously intended to wear together

IMG_0041.jpg

The top 2 lines (from one strand) do not seem the same as the other 4 and may be freshwater pearls picked out, or even dyed to match. They are more metallic and not as iridescent and seem lighter apart from being smaller (approx 6.5mm, the others are 7.5 & 8.5 mm). Hoping someone can shed some light on what they might be?

Thanks for whatever you can suggest.

Hi Tami,

They are all dyed, cultured Chinese freshwater pearls. The top 2 are lower quality.
Edit: Ha, Jeremy beat me to it. :)

Thank you both so much for such quick replies. :)

I suspected as much from the close color match, each strand is about a meter long and I am thinking that so many near round, natural grey, sea pearls so well matched in color would be exceptionally unlikely to turn up at all, let alone cheap, with a matching freshwater strand.

It's sort of good news because it means I can re-string the two better strands with knots (I prefer the way they hang) as long "flapper" type beads for everyday wear.

That's a great use for them! Ropes made with smaller pearls aren't too heavy, and easy to tie in a loose knot if you like doing that.
Also, these pearls are solid nacre, therefore very durable. :)

I already have some small casual dove grey baroque freshwater pearls - 9 loose strands you tie like a scarf - and I LOVE them so these will be to wrap around. The traditional cream pearls look dreadful with my skin tone - I just recently discovered grey. ;)

Back