Do These Look Real?

Luna

I was wondering if someone is able to tell me anything about this necklace and set of earrings in the photos. I don't know anything about pearls except the little bit I've read online. I thought these ones were likely imitations because they are very similar in appearance, but they do feel gritty when rubbed together, and the surfaces have small flaws and slight variations in color. So I suppose they are either authentic or good imitations. If they are real, I was wondering if they have any value, or (more likely) are common things from China or something like that. Again, I am dumb about this sort of thing :(

Any help is much appreciated and many thanks in advance (apologies for photo quality, my photography skills are on a par with my knowledge of pearls).

IMG_0173.jpgIMG_0174.jpgIMG_0175.jpgIMG_0176.jpgIMG_0177.jpgIMG_0178.jpgIMG_0179.jpgIMG_0180.jpgIMG_0181.jpgIMG_0182.jpgIMG_0183.jpg

Luna, welcome!

Do you know any history on these pearls? They look like cultured Akoya pearls to me, with very good luster. Is the clasp silver or white gold?

Have you tested the earrings by rubbing them together gently? They have a more silvery look, and may be imitation. Are there any karat gold marks on the posts?

Hi Pattye, thank you for the response. I don't have any history on these. The clasp says 14k on it, so i assume its white gold.I have tested the earrings by rubbing them and they do feel rather grainy too, but like you noted, they have a more silver hue to them. I couldn't find any marking on the earring posts.

Akoya pearls are heavily processed(bleached, pinked etc.) so in a well matched strand you won't see much variation in color. I'd say they look like real pearls but the photos aren't the greatest and there are some pretty good fakes out there. If they feel gritty and you can see some blemishing then most likely you have real pearls.

Back