Distinguish the Fresh Water pearl & Akoya Pearl

P

Pearlgifts

I am going to China for vacation in July and will stay in Beijing for a week. As recommanded by the experts here, I will visit Hongqiao Pearl Market, especially to see Lingling. I like to purchase about 20 necklaces or strands of pearls there, both Fresh Water Pearls and Akoya Pearls. I am a beginner in pearls. Is there any methods to distinguish the Fresh Water Pearls and Akoya Pearls by just looking at them. Besides visiting lingling, I will shop around at other booths too. I don't want to be cheated.

David

Last edited by a moderator:
I strongly advise avoiding the Akoya in Hongqiao. The freshwater pearls are easy to spot, as they are almost never perfectly round, especially their. Just visit a couple of booths that sell "Sea Water Pearl" as they advertise, and see the difference.

Also, don't believe anything they tell you! Do you research before you go.

Jeremy:

Your feedbacks and expert opinions are the valuable research sources. I can spend days and days to absorb all information from you and from other experts of this site. I have learned so much. Thank you very much.

Also, I will attend the Jewelry show in Beijing in July of 2006. I got the show information from your answer to other members.

Do you have any idea of where China World Trade Center is located in Beijing. The Show Website does not list the address.

David

Good luck in Hongqiao. It is a great place to visit even if you are not looking for pearls. I have not been there in a long time. I wonder how much it has changed, or if it has at all.

The China World Trade Center is located in the business district on Jianguomenwai. Hongqiao is on Chongwenmen. I think (but I could be mistaken) that there is a Marriot just a mile away from Hongqiao that would be a good central location to stay. Otherwise stay at the Lido (Holiday Inn) to take in the night market as well, right next door.

Back