Cultured or Freshwater?

K

Kimberly1

Hi
I received a necklace of pearls for my birthday. I want to know how can I tell if they are cultured or if they are freshwater pearls? They are white and roundish, and they have knots between each pearl. I do not know what the exact size is but they are about the size of a pea.

Kimberly1 said:
Hi
I received a necklace of pearls for my birthday. I want to know how can I tell if they are cultured or if they are freshwater pearls? They are white and roundish, and they have knots between each pearl. I do not know what the exact size is but they are about the size of a pea.

Hello Kimberly,

Check out this thread, especially post #2 by Kenji, who describes cultured pearls.

https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10

Your pearls could be freshwater or saltwater akoyas. Both are cultured pearls. Since you say your pearls are "roundish" then I assume they are not perfectly round. That is they are near-round to oval in shape. If that is the case they are probably freshwater, as akoyas are most all round.

If you have some idea of the cost of the pearls, and where they were purchased, that may help to determine what they are.

Bill

Back