Cozumel Pearl Farm?

their site says they are growing " Pinctada radiata" but their photo gallery is broken. I guess someone is going to have to head down on vacation and investigate ;)

What a terrible assignment! Certainly you would be willing to make that sacrifice…… for science of course :)

Lol - we should send a whole investigatory team! For the week. We'll have to stay on the beach of course, to observe all operations.

And I think we should travel to and fro Cozumel via boat ... just in case there are wild mussels, oysters or clams to be spotted in the water along the way .... I'll bring the binoculars ...

I just checked reviews on tripadvisor, and this seems to be the real deal! Sounds like they even let you snorkel around the pearl floats. I have been scuba diving quite a few times in Cozumel, and will definitely check this out the next time I'm there.

...research associate, investigative assistant, mollusk spotter, scuba diver, pearl caddy??? How can I help the travel team?

I know this thread is ancient but I found it when I Googled Cozumel Pearl Farm and registered here to reply.

Our family was there on July 4, 2019 and we were blown away. Granted, I knew very little about pearls before we went so I was a blank canvas for information. However, the tour should appeal to a wide variety of people. Here are a few bullet points:

- Isabel, our host, studied marine biology around the world. If you want to dialogue about the science of pearl cultivation, she'll go into as much detail/minutia as you like.

- There's a small lab onsite which we toured. They are not shy about sharing information and/or things they've learned over the years.

- Our home schooled daughters 10 & 16, came with us and were fascinated by her presentation, as were my wife and I.

- If you just want to relax and snorkel, it's one of the most beautiful secluded beaches we've ever been to. Had the entire beach to ourselves. There is no road access so anyone coming in has to arrive by boat.

- Isabel arranged transportation by water taxi. She runs a tight schedule. Very easy to communicate with them for pickup and drop-off.

- They had small box of pearl jewelry items for sale. We bought the one set of earrings they had. However, there is no gift-shop and there's absolutely no pressure to buy anything.

It's a family operation and more geared toward the science of pearl cultivation than the marketing of pearls.

I wrote a blog post about our trip. If no OK to post, feel free to remove:

Cozumel Pearl Farm: Can You Tour A Working Pearl Farm?

I strongly recommend 10/10.

Thank you for the link to your report on your trip to the pearl farm sondich. Looks like a lovely place. Didn't really see much of a pearl farm operation in the images and some of the pearls look decidedly suspect (freshwater cultured) in one shot on TripAdvisor. Other images show different shells from Pinctada radiata (P. maxima and some others) as well as some cultured blisters on shells. So overall seems like there are mixed messages on the products from the farm and it seems that a few buildings are in need or repair per some visitor's feedback.

However, I do appreciate you highlighting this thread again and bringing my attention to a farm I did not know existed. Many thanks!

PS. Surprised it is P. radiata and not the close family member P. imbricata they are using in that part of the world. Interesting.

Thank you for sharing your great pearl farm adventure!

Thank you for the link to your report on your trip to the pearl farm sondich. Looks like a lovely place. Didn't really see much of a pearl farm operation in the images and some of the pearls look decidedly suspect (freshwater cultured) in one shot on TripAdvisor. Other images show different shells from Pinctada radiata (P. maxima and some others) as well as some cultured blisters on shells. So overall seems like there are mixed messages on the products from the farm and it seems that a few buildings are in need or repair per some visitor's feedback.

However, I do appreciate you highlighting this thread again and bringing my attention to a farm I did not know existed. Many thanks!

PS. Surprised it is P. radiata and not the close family member P. imbricata they are using in that part of the world. Interesting.

My pleasure.

It was a very fun trip and educational. However, as I said, I knew very little about pearls going in. But...here I am now at an authority site forum!

As a diver, I was very disappointed with the marine life in Cozumel. It was completely dead, and bleached. Very sad to see this under water.

As a diver, I was very disappointed with the marine life in Cozumel. It was completely dead, and bleached. Very sad to see this under water.

Really???? That is really sad! Last time I visited it (2005) was a vibrant and beautiful place. The reefs were colorful, sea turtles, sharks, dolphins...and thousands of tiny and colorful fishes! Loved the place.
But there have been plenty of hurricanes over the years, the "sargassum algae plight"...coral reefs are very susceptible to environmental disturbances.
What a pity :(

Back