...could this necklace be natural pearls?

funky_pearl

hi everyone! i'm usually hanging out in show us your pearls but i would love some info/opinions about this ebay auction. I'm the first bidder and was drawn to the piece because of its fabulous clasp. the seller is saying the pearls are natural...i have no idea either way, just that i was drawn to the necklace. I love antique jewlery and am wondering if this is in fact a georgian necklace with natural pearls! Here's the ebay link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310903695901?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1426.l2649

thanks! :)

It certainly could be natural, but no one can be 100% certain without a test. :) Nice clasp and a nifty piece. You take a risk by posting it here because you'll likely get some competition! :)

I agree, with GG, very interesting necklace! No glaring inconsistencies with the pearls as described, but only testing can verify naturals. The pearls look really tiny, for the most part. I'm certainly no expert in vintage and antique pearls, but love them!

gemgeek, thanks for the heads up about competition, but i figure if i don't win it at least it may go to some other pearl guide member who will give it a loving home! the pearls don't look like those rice krispy ones from the 80's and 90's to me...i know pretty much nothing about naturals so i was just curious! i really need to get some books about pearls to learn more...
pattye, they do look super tiny, unlike anything i've ever seen before!
i just won a pair of baroque akoya clip on earrings from the 50's/60's yesterday on ebay so i hope if someone from the forum wins this necklace they post lots of pictures. :)

The clasp actually looks like it would have held four strands, if the safety clasp was removed. Would have been a beautiful piece when originally created.

Back