Could these be south sea pearls?

So in conclusion, this strand is FWP because it has deep inclusions several mm in the nacre as mentioned by Jeremy and because it has an oblong/oval or egg shape. Did I get it right?

Thanks dkan!
Yeah, seller said its SSP. So I asked the experts here. Also, I wanna learn what sets SSP apart from large FWP according those who are knowledgeable in this matter. Hope everyone could learn from this thread too.

With it's nice size, how much would this necklace worth in the market excluding the clasp?

Very clearly large freshwater pretending to be south sea. The long narrow flaws are a real giveaway. South sea flaws tend to be round, like a stone dropped into a hot mud gloopy puddle.

While researching I stumbled upon how to really detect SSP from FWP and that is by doing X-ray. FWP produce luminescence under X-ray due to it manganese content, while SSP doesn't because it doesn't have magnesium on its nacre.
http://www.ssef.ch/uploads/media/20...e_a_valuable_test_in_pearl_identification.pdf

Here is also a sample of SSP flaws/pits from GIA.
http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?c=G...ail&cid=1355958331037&pagename=GST/Dispatcher

It would be very costly to have this strand undergo X-ray.

I was thinking of knotting these pearls and attach a 14k clasp but it seems to big for me to wear. Maybe I will just make a handwire art pendant out of it and share to family and friends. Thanks everyone for taking time to look at my pearls and sharing all your valuable knowledge on this matter! God bless you all!

While researching I stumbled upon how to really detect SSP from FWP and that is by doing X-ray. FWP produce luminescence under X-ray due to it manganese content, while SSP doesn't because it doesn't have magnesium on its nacre.
http://www.ssef.ch/uploads/media/20...e_a_valuable_test_in_pearl_identification.pdf

Here is also a sample of SSP flaws/pits from GIA.
http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?c=G...ail&cid=1355958331037&pagename=GST/Dispatcher

It would be very costly to have this strand undergo X-ray.

I was thinking of knotting these pearls and attach a 14k clasp but it seems to big for me to wear. Maybe I will just make a handwire art pendant out of it and share to family and friends. Thanks everyone for taking time to look at my pearls and sharing all your valuable knowledge on this matter! God bless you all!

There may be a few instances where this sort of testing could be required to really determine whether or not a strand is freshwater or South Sea. That would typically be in the case of beaded freshwater of really fine quality that are very similar to South Sea. I've seen some that are very close, but upon close examination there are always signs you can make out.

With a strand like yours, however, it only takes a quick glance to know with certainty it's freshwater. You wouldn't want to pay the cost of testing for it. It would be more costly than the value of the strand.

A lot of freshwater get passed off as South Sea in shops around the world - especially in places frequented by tourists. I've seen it in Vietnam, the Philippines and even in Hong Kong.

In the Philippines they describe all their pearls as Mindanao South Sea and sometimes freshwater. Mindanao is the ancient home of the Badjao, or the Sea Gypsies. They are the original pearl divers of the Philippines. But there are no farms in Mindanao. The farms are on the opposite side of the Sulu Sea on Palawan. It's a much safer area.

The vendors at Greenhills come to the Hong Kong gem shows. Even the South Sea pearls they sell in Manila are purchased in Hong Kong. They are easy to spot because they almost always wear traditional Muslim clothing and head scarves at the show.

I think you should try wearing them. You might get to like large pearls - I do! :)

I have been hanging around this forum for a few years now, and yes, I could tell at a glance that your pearls were large freshwaters without a nucleus. Do some reading here for a while, and you will get the hang of it as well.

Without a doubt I believe Jeremy and the experts here. I do accept that the pearl necklace my dad got from the Philippines was FWP as experts say here. However, my curiosity has lead me to ask on how to tell the difference of SSP and large FWP in an objective standing.

I got it guys, I believe the experts here and their years of experience. They say its not SSP. Then why is it not? They say the shape is eggy, so does it mean SSP should be perfectly round? They say the flaws should be like stones thrown into like muddy puddle and it shouldn't be more than mm deep for SSP. Answers like these are the answers my little brain can accept.
And, I'm just into scientific testings/findings, those kind of things that has lead me to the article about X-rays and magnesium traces in pearls.
Just curious again, if my pearl necklace is a real SSP how much would be it's value?

Thank you Red! Your profile shows second-graft pearl. Do you do grafting? Wow, you're amazing!

South sea pearls may certainly be non-round! They may be drop shaped, oval, ringed, and freeform baroques.

My white SSP are a whiter white than my freshwater pearls, and their nacre has a different appearance -- "heavy" is the best way I can describe it, but that probably doesn't help. Have a look at my ringed WSS strand and you may get the idea: https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/at...3&d=1436646198

I think it may help you to look at lots and lots of WSS necklaces-- in person is best, but if you can't then look online (not eBay) so that you get an idea of what they tend to look like.

May I suggest a book for you? It's full of photos and very informative. The current (5th) edition of Renee Newman's Pearl Buying Guide:
https://www.amazon.com/Pearl-Buying-.../dp/0929975448

It's not really possible to answer your question of what they would be worth if they were WSS. What would my Toyota Corolla be worth if it were a Porsche? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Thanks GemGeek, yes, maybe I should try wearing big this time hahaha

Thanks for posting you WSS Pearl Dreams! I can see the soft luster on it and its different orient. It made me better understand.

Also, thank you for the recommended book. I will definite have it, not to prove that my pearls are SSP but for additional understanding of pearls.

Toyota with Porsche? hahaha I got the picture too.

Back