Coin Pearls?

TahitianDreamin

Hello again!

These are called coin pearls right? They actually have the exact same type of 585 clasp as the estate find post from today, with the CN (I thought it looked like a GN) and everything! But these are called Coin Pearls right? Freshwater from China? I'm just listing these on eBay so I want to make sure I'm not listing them incorrectly. And they are dyed freshwater in between right? The white ones have 10mm diameter and the gray are about 4x3mm (they're oval). These came from an estate jewelry lot, I didn't pay much for it. (~60 bucks and there was enough 10k/14k/925 to pay for it fully, these are just extra. :) )

Thanks again! :)

Edit: Duh I forgot to put the pictures on!!!

IMG_4224.jpgIMG_4225.jpgIMG_4226.jpg

Last edited:
Yes-- you've identified both kinds of pearls right. Remember to add the word "cultured" to your listing.

Yay I'm getting better at this! Good tip. Thanks a lot!!

Now for a more technical follow-up question: How are these "made"? Are they tissue or bead nucleated? I noticed they have rather well defined "edges," how does that happen?

Thank you again! :)

Last edited:
I've seen a photo of a black mesh nucleus over which nacre is laid... am trying to remember where I saw the picture. Will edit when I find the photo.

Edit:

Found it, where I suspected, in Renee Newman's excellent book, Pearl Buying Guide, 5th edition, page 90, Fig. 12.7. It's black but not mesh as I thought. It's plastic sheeting. There is a photo showing one of the pearls broken and the sheeting visible.

Let me quote:

"Lightweight coin pearls. These are cultivated by inserting pieces of plastic sheeting with large grafts of mantle tissue in a first operation. The broken pearl in the photo grew around a textured piece of plastic-like imitation leather. Unlike shell nuclei, thin bits of plastic contribute little to the weight of the pearl.This might be a reason why so many vendors call these lightweight-coin pearls...."

However, the photo I refer to is not of the type of round coin pearls in your necklace-- these are lighter weight and not so round.

On pp. 87-88 Newman refers to the kind you have and says a coin shaped nucleus and a tissue graft are implanted to make the coin shape, and the mussels are left in the water for 1-4 years. If they're removed after a year and the mussel is returned to the water without a nucleus, the pearl sac can then produce a petal-like pearl. But if it's returned to the water with a bead nucleus, a fireball pearl can result.

Last edited:
Back