Cleaning glue from pearls

Pearling Technologies

I have a customer who has a Tahitian oval/drop with a white gold fitting at the top. the fitting was drilled and glued using loctite super glue but a slight cloudiness has appeared at the edge of the fitting, on the pearl.

What does anyone recommend to clean it off without affecting the pearl?

Hi George,
I am almost certain I saw "Attack" when I was at House of Jewellery, in Sydney just this week..
http://www.hoj.com.au
I can't see it listed under their "products" section, but I am sure I saw it in their store..

Last edited:
I have a customer who has a Tahitian oval/drop with a white gold fitting at the top. the fitting was drilled and glued using loctite super glue but a slight cloudiness has appeared at the edge of the fitting, on the pearl.

What does anyone recommend to clean it off without affecting the pearl?

I was just reading over this again and realized that I forgot to mention something. When you see that cloudy residue it means that the pearl is not set securely into the setting. In other words, there is an open area in the cup or next to the post where the epoxy has evaporated and leaked out. If the setting is a cone, and the pearl is round, this is normal. But if it should fit securely, you would be better off removing the pearl and reattaching it.

Back