Cleaning a mussel or oyster

S

Sheila

I would like to bring back a mussel or an oyster (empty of course) from my next pearl-buying trip to China. I tried a mussel last time, but I couldn't get rid of the smell. So I left the mussel and only took the (also smelling) pearls home.
Anybody here with good cleaning advise?

I also would like to have a Pinctada maxima (also empty), would it be possible to buy it somewhere?

Sheila

Hi Sheila,

Yuo should buy one of the clean ones at the market. I am sure they go through quite a process to get rid of the smell there, but they sell clean shell all over the place just as the locals do in Tahiti.

Hi Jeremy, do you mean in the Zhuji market?
I never thought about looking there, I just went to one of the farms in the area.

Cleaning Advice from a Pearl Farmer:

1) Remove as much organic matter from the pearly shell, then soak in freshwater for a couple of hours.
2) Once more: remove organics (usually drill-worms, that will become bloated with water)
3) Place your shell next to an ant-hole (colony). They will do extra-detailed cleaning for you. Cover -if possible- to avoid direct sunlight: shell might crack.
4) Remove shell (& ants as well ;) )
5) Place shell in shaded area for extra drying. You can use "Arm & Hammer" or "Shout!" spray to help remove odours.
6) Apply a bit of mineral oil (or baby oil) to the shell...it will make it look nicer and protect it from dehydration and cracks.

Hope this works.

Pretty hard to do on a trip though. Can you imagine finding an anthill? :)

Raisondetre said:
Pretty hard to do on a trip though. Can you imagine finding an anthill? :)

Maybe if you know how to pronounce anthill in chinese :D

I think I will look for the already cleaned ones.

Actually, you can find ants almost anywhere, specially in tropical areas...between street cracks, on walls, behind furniture.

But, I would definitely purchase clean ones...but the recipe holds if you need it.

Anyway...we need to retalliate! Can't have ants destroying a Disney amusement park!!!

I have some salad plates I think are made from pinctada maxima. They measure about 8-9" across.

Here is a picture of part of it. If it isn't pinctada maxima I would like to know what it is

Attachments

• pteria sterna bracelet 10.jpg
    pteria sterna bracelet 10.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Back