Can you tell the thickness of the nacre of the SS pearls?

Can't believe that my post intrigue such an interesting discussion. I've learned a lot.

Tjw, from my little experience, I would doubt that first pearl on the left and specially the one in the middle of first pic have regular nacre thickness. We can see, above a kind of darker colour wave of nacre, a clearer area which makes me think of the bead, seen by transparency.
But the only real ways to know thickness of nacre are X-ray testing, or examination of the hole, not possible in case of set pearls.... or to carve them;)
Pearl Dreams, In case of very thin nacre (about 0.1/0.2mm) on tahitian pearls, even black, you can see that because thin areas look more clear, and loose a great part of their lustre.

Hi ericw, I see what you said. Indeed, the pearl in the middle of the first picture does have a lighter spot. I don't know what caused it. It's like a ring (which is lighter color) around the pearl. Also, the first picture was taken in an outdoor light (actually in my car) and the second pic was indoor. I don't know if that affect or not.

Thanks a lot.

Twj, I would be glad to have helped you.
Your thread has reminded a great problem about thickness of nacre!
I have forgotten to tell when fine wrinkles are seen on round pearl's surface, as on yours in the middle of first pic, that's not a good sign about nacre thickness. It's easy to understand, nearly in comparison with an old apple: more thin is the skin of the fruit, more fine will be their wrinkles. That only to give you a picture, then so much nacre is growing in thickness, smoother become these wrinkles.

Last edited:
Once a pearl has a wrinkle it will always have wrinkles. The apple analogy does not apply to the deposition of nacre in a pearl sac - which is more like a marble inside an expanding balloon.
Unless you can actually see the bead because there is no nacre it is pretty much impossible to tell depth of nacre by eye. The only non-invasive ways are x ray and knowing the size of the nucleus. Unless you can clearly see the white of the bead down the drill hole of course
Lustre and speed of deposition are governed by the genetic code of the donor mantle tissue. It's nearly all down to the donor mantle tissue not the host shell.
Having looked closely at many shells I do believe that pink south sea pearls could be produced if farmers wanted. There is plenty of pink hiding away in shells

Back