can anyone tell me what these are?

K

katkat

I received these pearls as a gift. I know nothing abot them except that they are real and have a 14k clasp. I know nothing about pearls so I dont know if they are freshwater, or what or what quality they are

Attachments

• snap-unknown-20060925-203804-1.jpeg
    snap-unknown-20060925-203804-1.jpeg
    19.5 KB · Views: 37
It is very hard to tell because the picture is a little blurry and a little too far away to get a nice, detailed look. Can you take another shot of them?

I will get a close up in the morning. My husband is better at the camera than i am. Maybe he can get a better picture

I was doing some research and discovered that they are freshawater or most likely to be because a few of the pearls have a line or a ring. Am I correct in this? They are 5.5 mm, so kinda small. They are also not perfectly round, an indicator that it is not akoya?

as in ring, you mean circled?

circled and offround, of this size would be freshwater.

Is that their original box? This would be the nicest presentation I've ever heard of for 5mm ringed FWP! Those should be mighty fine looking pearls :) My wishful thinking self would want them to be some sort of Keshi instead. Those could have been around 1-1.5k... Any idea what the price range might have been? The picture is not much help.

here are some close ups. best as we could get with this camera. The rings are small and only on a few of the 85 pearls. You cant see them in the pictures because they are so faint. Most are almost round

Attachments

• snap-unknown-20061212-003600-1.jpeg
    snap-unknown-20061212-003600-1.jpeg
    18 KB · Views: 46
  • snap-unknown-20061212-003611-1.jpeg
    snap-unknown-20061212-003611-1.jpeg
    17.8 KB · Views: 52
oh, yes that is the original box. that jeweller does all it pearls in that type box

In these two photos, I see round akoya pearls. Maybe slightly baroque akoyas if some have rings (are the rings similar to those ones (or is it more like that)?

btw, what type of camera did you use for these shots?

Last edited:
I wonder if you would be abel to take teh pictuers with natural light not a lamp. I have found that natural sunlight does better withteh pearls as far asn less shadows and teh dark look to the picture itself.. Just my two cents.

Cheers
Ash

well, they dont look like euther of those. they are kind of like a stain from a coffee cup, not the same color, but the same effect. It does not go all the way around a pearl, but is more like a ring from a coffee cup. We tried to take pictures in natural light, they came out blurry. But I can tell you that they are always that lusterous and shiny. They do not look at all like the second picture, very similar to the first oneexcept that they are not quite that shiny

is there any way these could be natural pearls? The rings I am describing, I think I am describing them wrong. From reading on here, it sounds similar to orient. Can anyone provide pictures of orient and natural vs akoya vs freshwater to compare?

Hi KatKat,

Natural pearl with Orient:

Attachments

• New_pearl_ring_1.jpg
    New_pearl_ring_1.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 43
oh, I see. That is helpful. The pearls are pointed one way like the one in the picture is. they also look quite similar except for the size. I am taking them toa jeweller tommorow to find out for sure

katkat said:
I am taking them toa jeweller tommorow to find out for sure
Don't do that! If you do you will never know!!! Just find a digital camera with a macro lense and post the pictures here. Most jewelers cannot tell the difference between a dyed freshwater and a Tahitian. If you have an older or special strand, not one in a thousand jewelers will be able to tell you what it is. Jewelers are not pearlers. Jewelers do not know pearls. Is this a generalization? Yes, it is. But it covers well over 99% of the jewelers in the USA.

Hi Katkat,
Please let us know how it goes at the jewelers. As you may know from the many posts here about visits to jewelers to find out about one's pearls, most jewelers are not very knowledgeable about pearls, and you may not get valid information. Jeremy is absolutely right about that. I was involved in fine jewelry sales for Nordstrom for about 5 years in the 90's, and got practically no training at all in pearls. Good luck!
Pattye

Last edited by a moderator:
You also mentioned that the pearls are pointed in one direction like the picture? Is this where the pearl is drilled, and are the pearls consistent? It could be a baroque bead nucleated Akoya.
How about the graduation? The pearls near the end appear to be much smaller than those in the center. Even allowing for the distance in the photo, there appears to be several millimeters of differentiation. That would be classic, post WWII Akoya matching.

I will take your advice then and not go to the jewellers about them. I will try to find out more here. They are not drilled on the pointed side. thjey are not graduated. They do appear to be consistant. They are only slightly pointy and all of them have almost identical points. A few are pointier than the others if that makes sense. They appear perfectly round until you look closer and they are more of an ovoid shape. It came with some extra pearls. I looked down the drill hole and can not see a nucleus. The string is silf if this helps at all. They just seem awefully shiny to be cfw

I know them to be only a few years old. A freind gave them to me. She wanted to give them to her daughter, but her daughter does not like pearls, and rather thatn seeing them waste away, she gave them to me

Back